or Connect

Posts by newbee

I love the phrase "opportunity cost". Imagine if I had only bet the farm on the last 20 years of Super Bowl winners ... hell, I'd be a multi-millionair for sure. Just think of all that "opportunity cost" wasted. Shameful. Hint for sog35 :     "opportunity cost" is Wall Street Jargon designed to fool investors  ..(read suckers) .. into "proving" that the "expert" knows what he is talking about. It's called "baffling with bullshit". 
Unless you have access to all of his investments, it's not wise to base your opinion of him to just his "biggest 4 holdings". That's like the people who come back from Vegas bragging about their biggest wins .... but you never hear about their losses. Icahn's history is that of a person who will destroy companies (jobs, peoples lives, etc.) with absolutely no regard to all of the people who are harmed . He should be the poster boy for all that is wrong about today's...
Why on earth would you care how much "goes to Apple" ..... unless, of course, you get a cut on every iPhone's profit ???
According to the article,  ... "Motorola first filed a complaint with the ITC in August 2012". So how do you figure 7 years ???
I could not agree more ... in fact, I would say, that is usually the case.
While technically correct, for the purposes of this discussion, anything that is not hardware can  be called services. When Apple first suggested building their own retail chain of stores, the industry thought they were nuts ... a store to sell 6 or 7 different products ???.. Really ?? ... but the art of selling is, in itself, like performing a service. Some companies are lousy at it, Apple is excellent at it ... that's my point.
"services are not exactly Apple's strong suit"  ?? .. Really ??  Is there another retail chain making more money per sq. ft. than Apple, that has representation worldwide? That's a pretty good "strong suit".  How about another music, movie and TV retailer selling the amount that iTunes does, or another App Store on desktop or one on mobile ? ... These are all pretty good examples of Apple's "strong suit" .. imho. I have a theory about why we, as a group, seem all to eager...
 I agree, Apple makes 30% on it's iTunes and app store. If Sammy or any of the other dumb phone manufacturers made this kind of percentage on it's revenues, wall street would be all over them ... and that 30% is AFTER they pay the developers, don'tcha' know. Trust me, Apple is doing OK. Just because Wall Street like to sell "ice to Eskimos" and are masters at "spin for the good of Wall Street" at the expense of the "investors", none of this has any bearing on how Apple...
Maybe that's why those "other, lesser companies" are just that .... lesser. Apple's strength is remaining true to it's philosophy, not trying to please everyone, all of the time, on everything. Apple did not get to the lofty heights where it finds itself at today by not knowing what its doing.
I just wanted to say that I hope everyone here on AI has the most Happy, Healthy and Successful New Year possible .... and here's to Apple for continuing to amaze and delight us in ways that we could never even imagine. Now, if only "my ship would come in" so I could get that new Mac Pro that I absolutely want and desire, but sadly, cannot justify nor afford ... but hey, that's what dreams are for, right? Happy New Year, everyone (even the trolls).