or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

What seems to be undeniable is that the IPhone 5 isn't selling as well as previous versions in Apple's core markets. You could say that it hasn't been perceived as a big enough upgrade versus the 4S to persuade existing customers to switch. I remember someone describing the iPhone 5 as iPhone 4s ii. I don't think the 5S can get away with being simply the same iPhone 5 design with a bump in specifications. There is genuine demand for an iPhone line-up that offers a range...
To summarise some of the thoughts here:   - We need retina display sizes to come down - We need SSD storage prices to come down so that 512 becomes the base and 1TB optional  - We need integrated graphics to become a whole lot better so that discrete graphics (and the packing constraints they impose) are no longer necessary - We need battery life to improve (10-12 hours) - We want machines that are even thinner and lighter without sacrificing power - We...
One other important aspect of Apple releasing the 128 GB iPad 4 now is, contrary to to persistent rumours, it signals the rest of the iPad line-up will not be upgraded in the short term. This is a good thing. Apple's refresh cycles have gotten a little muddled lately. No one expected the iPad 4 to arrive as soon as it did - annoying if you had just bought an iPad 3.    As someone else noted, other recent product launches have been less than faultless. One retina...
  Good post. I agree that Office for Mac 2008 was in many ways better than Office 2011. I particularly liked the floating palettes which allowed you to easily access frequently used functions and position them conveniently. The point is that Office in its present incarnation is far from ideal. It's good, but it's bloated and the interface is overloaded. Similarly, iWork isn't exactly fantastic either. I like the elegant simplicity of Pages and Keynote but agree that both...
Since September, Apple has updated virtually every product in its inventory.   We've had a new iPhone, new iPods, the new iPad Mini and even a new standard iPad. We had new MacBook Airs and the new 15" MacBook Pro with a retina display earlier in the year and now we've got the 13" Retina MacBook Pro. As if all this wasn't enough, we also got iOS6 and Mountain Lion. Apple has worked through an awesome to do list and delivered an array of stunning products.   So...
I always love it when rumour begins to morph into reality... Seriously, this machine can't arrive soon enough. It's way overdue and I'm ready to buy. I just wonder what it's going to cost with a 768 GB SSD hard drive?
There is pent-up demand for for the new 13" MacBook Pro with Retina screen as well as for the new iMac. When these arrive, we should see a big spike in demand for Apple products. I don't think Windows 8 is eagerly anticipated. I agree that a lacklustre new MS OS would only help drive conversion to OSX. In all scenarios, I see OSX gaining market share. When Haswell processors arrive in Apple's laptop line-up, we should see a further sales spike, especially if claims of...
I use Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and Excel for business presentations, documents and spreadsheets. I've used them for years. I still use them, because I so familiar with them. I think that the new version of Office for Mac 2011 is a step back versus the previous one, which had floating palettes that provided great functionality. Office hangs or crashes frequently and there are still compatibility issues between Windows and Mac files.    I find myself creating...
So, where are we on the retina 13" MacBook Pro. I had hoped it would come along with the iPhone 5. Will it launch before Christmas or are we looking at 2013? Best guesses, people. 
Killing Jony Ive's sacred cow   Apple clearly thought long and hard about size formats before launching the iPhone. They started with a clean sheet, so didn't need to conform to category norms or expectations.  This gave Jony Ive and his team total freedom to develop the most appropriate form factor. When the iPhone launched, the shape, depth and screen size all seemed to be the product of an unrelenting search for excellence with ergonomic rigour a major factor in...