or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

This is very exciting news. It's a question of 'when' not 'if'. We will probably see prototype devices long before the real thing is launched. So it is quite possible that the technology will be unveiled at WWDC. I wouldn't bet on a commercial model appearing before January 2009 at the earliest. However long it takes to get it right, i think it'll be worth the wait. I see such a device as ushering in a new era of computing. We spent the first 30 years of the IT Age...
The Express card slot is history. Sorry, it ain't ever comin' back, baby. All of the mobile carriers in the UK offer 3G broadband cards over USB. They work very well and in many instances are faster than Ethernet broadband connections. Similarly, the Ethernet port over USB on the Air also works pretty well too. If you are using either a 3g data card or Ethernet and you're not connected to a network printer, then you'll need to attach one via USB. That means...
I totally endorse other positive comments. It's only just been released. It's a kick-ass machine by any objective standard. It is unlikely to be superceded by anything new for another six months. In fact, I think I've just talked myself into buying one. Go for it.
Jason O'Grady has no idea what NewTon Take 2 / MacBook Touch will be like. Neither have I. But synthesising various tidbits of informed speculation, checking on recent patents filed by Apple and simply watching where personal computer technology is headed, there are a few things we can surmmise without looking foolish. The MacTouch is not a replacement for MacBook Air. The MacTouch is very unlikely to have an in-built superdrive; if it has one at all, it will be...
Nice one, Hiro. What you say confirms exactly what I've been hearing. For all these reasons, I believe we may well see a new MacBook Pro announced next week despite rumours to the contrary. What we probably won't see is a new MacBook. What this discussion seems to confirm is that the chipsets in the MacBook Pro and MacBook will be quite separate maintaining the distinction between the two ranges. If for any reason the new MBP doesn't make an appearance in 7 days time, it...
It's Friday, there's nothing much interesting happening today except the naysayers grumbling about Leopard 10.5.3, so I thought I'd unleash my imagination on the unsuspecting Barbarian hordes. What would the perfect WWDC look like? Here goes. Steve stands up and to everyone's surprise he's wearing a suit, but no tie and he's clean shaven. He looks dapper and elegant, but above all confident. As he is about to speak, his cellphone rings. Instead of putting it...
Berg, I disagree with this comment; I started this thread based on my analysis of feedback. The one universal complaint is: not enough ports. I also disagree with this comment; Apple markets the Air as a sub-notebook.I also disagree with this comment; The Air is for people who want a MacBook or MacBook Pro, but who don't want to carry around the extra weight. Add a decent sized hard drive and for anyone who doesn't need to run graphics intensive programs the Air can be an...
What is interesting about this thread is that it has transcended humble origins to become a fascinating discussion on wireless connectivity versus physical connectivity. We all agree that WiFI, Bluetooth and WiMax (when it arrives) are beautiful things. The elimination of wires is obviously desirable. But there is a continuing need to be able to connect a wide range of devices to even the most mobile of devices in order to access data. Steffi's post above citing the...
Based on past experience, I had originally expected Apple to announce the new MBP at WWDC on 9th June, but didn't expect it to go on sale before 30th June. I still think that Apple will announce a revised MBP at WWDC (and quite possibly a new MacBook too), but I don't think either will now go on sale before 14th July and possibly later. The question is whether Apple can afford a significant gap between announcement and on sale. The answer is a probable "yes", because...
This is correct. And the Wi-Fi chips Apple does use are all FCC approved. So, assuming the primary Montevina board is good to go, then we're all set for a new MacBook Pro for WWDC. In fact, elsewhere there are reports of a container ship loaded to the gunwales with a shipment bound for Apple. Can't just be 3G iPhones.