or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

This is absolutely right. Apple uses the core Centrino platform plus a number of its own components including the GPU and wireless chip. What is not clear is whether Apple had planned to transition to Intel's own wi-fi chips or what the exact problem with Montevina / Centrino 2 is causing the delay. Piecing together various bits of intel about the likely configuration of the new MBP, I am pretty certain that it will feature, among other processors options, Intel's T9600...
Tech Girl, Don't forget that there has been no official announcement from Apple or Intel about forthcoming MacBooks or delayed processors. While the rumours reported here and elsewhere suggest a delay, we don't really know how significant it is yet. My advice is do nothing until after WWDC, because it will become clear by that time what the situation is. I don't see too much of a delay. Apple HAS to get new machines out buy August for fear of losing out during the...
This news is really going to mess with Apple's Q3 performance. Seems like Intel is limited more by Murphy's Law than by Moore's Law.
mjteix, Point taken. What I mean is that future MBA model with Centrino 2 will compare very favourably with existing MB and MBP. I certainly don't think that the Air will compete with next generation MBs or MBPs. I agree about the increase in battery life. vinea, Wireless is all very well. Yes, in an ideal world we would all have universal access to WiFi and WiMax networks and wireless USB. But even so, there is still a requirement to physically connect/ upload...
Maleficent, I only heard info about the Pro. Anything I've reported about the MacBook is just informed speculation. Putting all of the rumours together, if both MB and MBP lines become all-aluminium models, it could be that there is very little to differentiate them other than screen size. I wonder, especially with a MacBook Touch also rumoured to be in the works, whether Apple will migrate its traditional laptop range to a single line-up of machines with 13, 15, and...
Anyone care to translate this? NoO offence, Vinea, you clearly have considerable knowledge but your geek-speak is gobbledy-gook to me!
Nice one, welcomb. We also hear unconfirmed reports that while the overall size may be slightly smaller, the 3G iPhone will also be noticeably thicker than the existing model to make room for a larger battery and the 3G chipset. Consequently, it is expected have more tapered sides to ensure it fits nicely in the palm of the hand. Also, contrary to rumours, the consensus is that the body will not be plastic. Less than two weeks to go before we find out.
This thread has really thrown down the gauntlet. So come on Apple, step-up to the plate and give your adoring public what it wants. It has always been said that if you build a better mousetrap customers will beat a path to your door. By the same token, if you build a better mouse, then Apple customers will do likewise. As if Jonathane Ive and his design team haven't got enough on their plates.
Absolutely. Amen. The MBA, though flawed is going to get better. The Centrino 2 chipset will increase processing power while reducing power consumption. It also offers WiMax, which will be very interesting if incorporated in to the Rev A model. Add a 256 Gb hard drive, 4 Gb of RAM plus one more USB and you have a machine that is every bit as functional as recent MacBook Pro models. I think the MBA will live up to Dave's Holy Grail of computers expectations. Of course,...
The machine you really lust after isn't a cut down version of the macBook Air but the much rumoured MacBook Touch. Perhaps the best way to describe this is as fusion of the iPhone and and MBA into a machine with a footprint roughly inline with your suggestions. Since this is still very much in development, no one has any idea exactly how big, powerful and useful it will be. But Apple being Apple, I have every confidence that it will be the sub-notebook Newton replacement...