or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

Wizard 69, Thanks for a great post, Dave. I think you are spot-on when you say that Apple DOES listen to its customers. There is no way it could be as successful as it is if it didn't. My suggestion that Apple fails to listen is what you get if you listen to half the bleating and complaining on this forum! In fact, I wrote this thread because i believe that Apple is presently evaluating feedback about the MBA. Marvin, Your initial response deserved much more...
This story is a classic example of why people find the tech sector so fascinating to follow. What blows us away today will be commonplace tomorrow. It seemed to take a lifetime to go from SSDs with 2 Gb of capacity to 8 Gb. The sheer speed with which we've gone from 8 Gb to 64 Gb and from 64 Gb to 256 Gb is mind-blowing. So, come Q4 we'll get a revised MacBook Air with Intel's Centrino 2 running at 1.86 Mhz consuming 17 versus 25 watts of power to provide more...
This a piece of random speculation. Journalist reviews of the MacBook Air have been so consistent in their criticism of its lack of ports that it may just be that Apple breaks the habit of a lifetime and upgrades the hardware. The next version could conceivably include an additional USB port, but without significantly changing the overall hardware design. This would enable both the DVD drive and an Ethernet connection to be used at the same time or alternatively a...
mjteix Your contributions to this forum are great. Always interesting. Always informative. And never full of justified speculation. Thank you. There is a lot of hype going around about Centrino 2. Will you please tell us what you think it means for the end user and for Apple and the MacBook Pro. Everything I've heard suggests that it will be a quantum leap. You don't seem to share this view. Please tell us more. N
mjteix / welcomb Thanks for the info on the chips. Of course, you're right, we don't know which chips Apple will specify, but it is probably fair to assume that the Core 2 Duo T9600 will be one of the options. The ability to harness the power of 4 Gb of RAM with certainly move things along a bit, but it is the switch to a 1066 MHz front-side bus versus the existing 800 MHz that should most make the difference in performance. Care to comment on this? I just checked...
Tech Girl, The Investment Community is extremely well plugged-in to what's going on. I happen to follow the Tech Sector very closely. Apple is very good at talking to analysts and analysts are very good at talking to people who buy stocks through their brokerage houses. The industry is smaller than you think. Of course, Apple never spills the beans, but with a tidbbit here and a tidbit there, it is easy to fill in the blanks. What I offer is a little more than informed...
I haven't seen the new MBP, but I have heard a bit about it from folks who have. I rather suspect a couple of its features will be criticized intensely before coming mainstream elements of all new laptop designs. Montevina isn't late; it was always scheduled for a mid-June release date. The performance from this chip set rocks. Wait and see. I expect new MBPs to be announced 9th June with an on-sale date of 30th June. WWDC isn't just going to be about the IPhone. I keep...
The SPICU rendering is closest to what next MBP will be like, but still doesn't even begin to do it justice. The new version includes some neat design features. Serious effort has been applied to it. It is now days away.
The MBP was meant to be updated in January, but Intel was late with its new Penryn chip so the revised machines was delayed to February. With a six month interval between updates, July would be the logical time to update again, especially since most if not all of Apple's competitors will have launched Montevina-based machines by this time. My money is on a 9th June announcement and an on-sale date of midnight 30th June. Expect case redesign with new style keyboard, larger...
This AI story leads me to predict five things: 1. New MacBook line-up condenses both MacBook Pro and MacBook into a single model range offered in three screen sizes 13", 15" and 17". Each model will be available in a Pro configuration, offering faster chips, higher res screens, high end GPUs and extra memory. All will come with in-built DVD drive. All will have aircraft grade aluminum enclosures. 2. New macBook products announced on Monday 9th June by SJ and on sale...