or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

I simply cannot understand what all the whining and whingeing is about. Someone else said this situation should hardly be surprising since this is Apple Maps V 1.0 whereas Google Maps is V 6.0. You can easily access Google Maps using the iPhone's web browser and soon I'm sure Google will release its own Maps App. Moreover, Apple will continually upgrade its maps and I look forward to the day when it is actually better than Google. i am sure it will come sooner than...
When I heard about the 4G / LTE capabilities of the iPhone 5 and the jump in download speeds this would provide I got all excited. Then I heard about the new Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) / France Telecom (Orange) venture: Everything Everywhere, or EE as it has now trendily re-branded itself, and i thought 'Wow! it's great that LTE is here already!'   Having looked into the upgrade options, it seems as if I may have got excited prematurely. So I thought it might be...
This is the machine everyone's been waiting for. There's a huge weight of expectation being placed upon before it even appears. Apple has to get the balance of power to battery consumption right. They know this, of course, so I expect a very neat machine. I am sure a lot of people will complain, however good it is. It drives me crazy when a new machine comes out and it is maxed out in just about every area and some geek says wait! You need to wait for the second...
Whatever the new 13" Retina MacBook Pro offers, it cannot come soon enough. The existing 13" MacBook Pro is too heavy to lug around airports on a regular basis while the MacBook Air simply doesn't have the power or screen quality to match the rMBP 15" model that power users need.    I would like to see 1 TB SSD offered and I just don't care what it costs. 
  I just cannot agree with you. The price premium a MacBook Pro commands is no longer about processor power, (although professional users will always find a way to use any extra power you give them). What i mean is that we're reaching a point of diminishing returns where individual software programs won't run any faster no matter how powerful the chip that drives them. Look at MS Word or iWork's Pages. Will they run faster on a new 13" MacBook Air or a new 15" Retina...
Mr Me,   Thanks for a very interesting reply. Of course, you're right. Office file formats are less than ideal, or 'crap' if you prefer. As much as we may dislike it, MS Office is a de facto worldwide standard. The installed user base is so massive that you simply have to be able to interface reliably with the existing file formats of other users. A frequent frustration for me is exchanging files with clients who are still using a previous version of the software. I...
Since moving to the Mac from Windows in 2008, I have been pleasantly surprised by iWork. Pages, Keynote and Numbers are all extremely good programs that offer excellent value. I find using them to be more intuitive than Word or PowerPoint. In particular, I like the fact that you can save files as MS docs. Frankly, who needs MS Office any more?   Actually, I do. Because still, there are things you can do in with Word and Powerpoint that you can't do with equivalent...
Of course, by the time the 13" RMBP arrives, 1TB SSDs will be available while 512 GB SSDs will have dropped in price. We're really starting to see SSD grow in the same way that flatscreen LEDs suddenly became mainstream about a decade ago. I am hoping Apple offer 512 GB and 1TB options. Hang the cost.   The screens themselves should also improve. Better yields, there could even be a bump in pixel count as other suppliers invest in production to jump on the...
With haptic feedback, we truly enter the post-PC era.    A keyboard that enabled blind people to read brail books would be truly amazing - it would genuinely change people's lives (as well as making typing on iPads easier for the rest of us.    It also has a gaming application - what fun! In short, it would only add to the user experience. Come on, Apple, this is a win-win technology. 
    A lot of very interesting and informed comments. Thank you, Marvin et al.    The concept of intense processing being done via the cloud is certainly catching on; isn't this what Apple does with its voice recognition technology? You speak, it sends back a raw signal that is translated/ converted / interpreted by a powerful system and then the processed data is sent back to you? If this is the future, our need to have truck-like desktop computers in our offices may...