or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

I love the new MacBook Air and if i had a spare $3,000 burning a hole in my wallet, I would have already bought one. The fact is, I don't. More than that, one computer is probably enough for my needs and since the Air is not quite ideal as an only computer, my choices are confined to the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Since these are both about to get a major redesign which will include an aluminum enclosure, we should soon be able to buy the perfect computer. (But who knows,...
My money is on a June / WWDC announcement for new MacBooks. Montevina is due before the end of MAy and rival manufacturers will aim to start shipping early June, so Apple won't want to delay, especially if Centrino 2 gives the competition something to shout about in terms of improved performance.
My bet is that the first MacBook Air revision will come in September. I imagine it will get a slightly faster chip using less power, based on the forthcoming Intel Centrino 2 platform operating at speeds of up to 1.86 Ghz (see Intel processor Roadmap for details). it should also offer larger hard drive options, possibly 128 Gb or 160 GB SSD and 128 Gb to 256 Gb HDD. I don't expect the physical design to change at all. If it were to be improved, the only things i'd...
Apple will clearly chase the Enterprise market, but all in good time. it is doing exceedingly well in the consumer market and the education market, these are both computer buying niches that Apple owns by deliberately targeting such customers. meanwhile, every other PC manufacturer has been targeting business users. Apple was smart to target different segments. The key to Apple's success is its key selling points which i see a little different from PJ's. Apple's core...
I don't know about the rest of you, but Apple's line-up is just so good, I really don't know what to replace my Mac Book Pro with. Six months ago my automatic choice would have been another Mac Book Pro, but then I started using an iPhone, so the need for portability went away. I thought an iMac would be ideal, because it combined a generous screen with a small form factor. Then Apple came out with the revised Mac Pro, and i thought if i'm going to get a desk top...
I've heard this rumour too. It would be good if new Mac Mini could be as slim if not slimmer than time capsule/ air port etc. It would also make a lot of sense for Apple to wait a bit and include Montevina with an improved GPU. It may be that Apple updates its standalone LED screen offerings to coincide with Mac-Mini refresh. Whatever happens, it is getting harder and harder to fault Apple's line-up.
This is an incredible story. The IPhone has to be the archetypal business school case study on how to launch a product. The control and feedback Apple got through single carrier exclusive deals is only equal to the explosion of sales that will occur when Apple gives Asia and Europe what it most wants in a phone; 3G. Nokia must be peeing in its proverbial pants. Of course, Apple isn't gunning for Nokia; it's got RIM in its sights. Terminate with extreme prejudice.
Steve Jobs announced that Apple had sold 4 million iPhones by January 2008 and with 1.7 million sold in Q1 2008, Apple is easily on target to hit its January 2009 target of 10 million. While European iPhones sales have so far been somewhat sluggish, it is fair to say that this has been primarily due to the fact that existing 3G smart phones created a perception that the 2.5G iPhone would be vastly inferior to existing offerings. We now know that the opposite is true. But...
Realistically...where is the new iMac? i think this is a very good question.It isn't that the existing iMac is so bad, but that so many other competing systems have made it look old before its time. i think a Penryn based chip plus a good graphics processor that puts it on par with a MacBook Pro is essential. There's a very simple reason for this. To a large extent mobile computing needs - email and web browsing - are being met by the iPhone. The need for a PC that...
Based on Italians I know, there is no doubt that the iPhone will do very well in Italy. The structure of this deal, unlocked iPhones, makes a lot of sense. Anything that didn't allow italians to choose their own carrier would have been pointless. There would have been massive jailbreak software utilization. I think this revised business model may well pave the way for 3G contracts in other markets. I wonder what Apple will do to give primary partners some kind of...