or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

Just thank the Lord that you're not using Vista. I had three crashes today on a Sony VAIO SZ5 and that was a good day.
Synthesis of likely specs for new range to include the following for both MacBook and MacBook Pro ranges based on rumour/ speculation on AI: Aluminum / Stainless steel metallic enclosures Larger multi-touch gesture track pads Backlit MBA-style keyboards Penryn/ Centrino 2 processors from 2.4 Ghz to 2.8 Ghz 2 -4 Gb RAM 200-500 Gb HDD 128-160 Gb SSD option Built-in optical drives (possible Blu-ray option in MBP Sony gets its ass in gear) LED screens at 13", 15" and 17" 2-3...
The answer to your question is a definitive 'yes'. We know for sure that Apple is researching this technology and given its success in the iPhone, it is perhaps only a matter of time before we see some kind of larger Mac Touch. Apple may even launch a variety of models, including a 8"-10" screen in a new version of the Newton, as well as a full-blown replacement for the traditional laptop macs we know and love. As much as such products require technical innovation and...
In the UK we have a marvellous word to describe such people it starts with C and ends in T. I risk getting banned if i spell it, but it is most apposite. I remember well what happened to MSFT and it wasn't pretty. I find it unbelievable that Reputable Wall Street firms allow people to churn out such unsubstantiated garbage as if they could genuinely predict future earnings. Walt Mossberg is a much better Apple analyst than most of the professional analysts. Perhpas it is...
When it comes to analyst predictions, I am the first one to weigh in when i think they're talking garbage. For instance, Gene Munster's pathetic attempt to finesse Apple's share price through bullish announcements about the iPhone etc. earlier this week were easy to see through. This was clearly an example of Piper Jaffray trying desperately to claw back some respect after their clients took a bath shortly after Christmas. Munster rated the stock a buy when it was near...
It's great to have further confirmation of an updated MacBook and MacBook Pro line-up in the works. Given that Apple will want to ride the crest of the back-to-college buying wave, I expect new machines to arrive no later than July. Hopefully, they'll be with us in June. By that, I hope they'll be shown at the WWDC. What this proves is that Centrino 2 is much bigger news than people realise. It is a real step-up in capabilities and should lead to much better,...
The new flatter Apple keyboards are so much better in terms of feel and feedback than the previous versions and that on the current MacBook Pro. The spacing and movement allows very positive keystrokes which makes for fast as well as more comfortable typing. Keyboard feel is what elevates the MBA above the MBP in my opinion. To me this basic functional benefit is much more important than backlighting. Backlighting is a "nice to have", but keyboard feel is a "must have".
OSX was pretty stable from the word go and while 10.5.1 was a quick fix and 10.5.2 properly addressed most of the unavoidable issues you get following the launch of a new OS, 10.5.3 really should be the update that puts Leopard on course to be 99.99999999% reliable. I am using Windows Vista and still more than a year after it was launched, it doesn't work properly or crashes when various things happen. Hardly suprising that major corporations are beginning to...
Despite the hype surrounding the iPhone and its imminent upgrade to 3G and version 2.0 software, it is still a relatively insignificant driver of profits for Apple at this time. Obviously, the more Apple develops the iPhone, the more critical mass it will gain. Given the momentum that iPhone 1.0 has already achieved, and much to the annoyance and surprise of RIM, Nokia and Samsung, Apple is right to focus on it. But Apple's core MacBook and MacBook Pro line-ups...
One of the principal packaging benefits offered by Centrino 2 is a chipset that runs less hot, reducing the need for extensive cooling components - something which is an issue even in the MBA. Motherboard aside, the other packaging constraint is also the depth of the DVD drive. Incremental reductions in chipset component designs since the current MBP was introduced at the beginning of 2006, means that there is considerable scope for enclosure size reduction. Leaving...