or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

This story tells us nothing that we didn't know already. That doesn't mean it isn't exciting stuff, it sure is. But we need to look behind Piper Jaffray's hype to what is really going on. After forcing many Apple investors to take a bath when the stock tanked in February, Gene Munster is now trying to bid up the price by his second pronouncement in two days about future products. The truth is he knows Jack S**t, just like the rest of us. If Apple suppliers start...
Thanks for putting the thread back on track, Mr H. Sure, the WWDC is going to be about the iPhone 2.0. The growing momentum of this product is certainly very important for Apple. Who knows, we may even see new variants added. But Apple's biggest driver of profit is its notebook line-up. The MacBook Pro line is probably its most important product in terms of both profit per unit sold as well as total volume of sales. Therefore, it is well overdue for a bit of love. What...
Personally, I'm looking forward to the day we can input data into a computer using just our thoughts. If that sounds far fetched the ability to read human brainwaves already exists, e.g. through polygraph testing. An in-between technology could be computers that use an onboard camera to lipread or straightforward voice recognition. As so many pundits have suggested, we're still at the dawn of the IT age not anywhere near the end.
I just don't agree with this comment at all. The full-size keyboard and a 13.3" screen in such a slim package make the MBA an engineering marvel/ technological breakthrough - it proves that ultra-portables do not need a mini 11.1" screen that most of us struggle to read. I'd rather have these features than just about any others. As we well know, Apple thought the same. It decided that reducing the number of ports and omitting a DVD drive was a better compromise than a...
I'm 100% sure a new MacBook Pro will arrive this year. My money is on a June launch.
A month or so ago, I wrote a thread about the new MacBook Pro. It was a case of putting two and two together and making five, based on only limited inside information. I knew that the MacBook Pro was ripe for an update in January and I also knew that Penryn would be the trigger for the new enclosure design to appear. So I assumed that the January update would be the new enclosure. This was delayed due to initial manfacturing problems with Penryn. Although I got the...
Dear DHagan, There is without doubt scope to make the MacBook Pro thinner, but not much thinner. You can lose 2mm on the lid; this a space saving enabled by use of thinner LED screens. There is also scope to reduce the main encolsure by about 3 or 4 mm. To gether these two reductions will allow for an overall reduction of about 4-5 mm. This would create a noticeably smaller and lighter MBP. I have heard that Apple is indeed working on such a machine. MORE INFO ON...
A big thanks to those of you who added more detailed and accurate information. Remember Bill Gates once said that 512K not Mb or Gb or Tb, but Kilobytes, ought to be enough memory for anyone?I am sure as memory capacity increases, we'll find appplications that will use it. in my mind, movies on iPhones will be the next big thing. Given that a movie takes up around 1Gb of space, you can't store too many with current hard drive capacities. I have a video library of some 100...
The Apple Juggernaut continues to roll along with incredible momentum and amazing new products. Trying to distinguish wishful thinking from actual fact in terms of what is coming and when is seldom easy, so i thought now might be a good time to invite the collective wisdom of AIs regulars to summarise our current beliefs. iPHONE The next major product release from Apple looks like it is going to be iPhone 2.0. Form all accounts, it sounds as if it'll be a 3G phone with...
As someone who has recently migrated from Windows to the Mac, I wanted to provide a pre-emptive answer to this question because recent criticism of Leopard might make anyone contemplating the switch have second thoughts. On the whole, I think Leopard is superb. The overwhelming reason to move from Windows to the Mac is the Finder. The basic way you store your files and acess them is just so simple and intuitive, I cannot fault it. Supporting systems that enable you to...