or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

I can't say i'm a Dell fan either. The reason Dells are so cheap is because they buy parts in bulk orders and frequently change suppliers. A Company i was working for a while back got a batch of new laptops with defective hard drives. Sure the problem was easily fixable - and Dell were responsive in providing good service - but you have no idea the trouble it caused when 20 new laptops all failed within a month. Times have changed and i imagine that Dell has new...
Shadow, supplies of MBPs are now running very low everywhere. i would say channel supply is now all but exhausted globally. That means something has to come soon to fill the void. If it doesn't, Apple's Q1 sales will be a comparative bloodbath. Intel delivering Penryn late has impacted Apple's original estimates, hence the cautious note. Luckily, every other PC manufacturer is equally affected. But now that competitors are rolling out new machines, Apple must follow...
When it comes to hi-definition DVD formats, Sony has clearly won both the product technology battle and the marketing battle. Whatever the merits of each system, the market wasn't going to move to buy either system in volume until the other had been eliminated. But even now that Blue-Ray has triumphed, the next battle Sony has to win is to persuade everyone to upgrade from ordinary DVDs to high definition DVDs. While winning over the world to Blue-Ray will require...
If Apple produces an aluminium MacBook as well as an aluminium MacBook Pro, it makes me wonder what the distinction between the two ranges would be apart from screen size and footprint. I would love to see a 13" MacBook Pro in aluminium. I plug my laptop into a larger screen when i'm in the office and only use the in-built screen when travelling. I don't really need a 15" screen, but i do need the computing power of the MBP. For me the ideal solution would be a...
While i know for sure that an updated MBP is coming very soon and quite a lot about what features it will have, I really don't know when it is going to launch. So the event is just an educated guess. i have been pestering people that do know with emails to provide more titbits of info, but they can't and won't. As i said, what was reported to me is that new 15 and 17 inch models were meant to debut at MacWorld. They aren't basic refreshes but a step forward in...
No. We reckon it's next week. We're expecting Apple to confirm the special event to take place on the 26th February later this week, probably Thursday. As I said, this should be MacWorld Part 2. What is certainly clear to everyone is that MBP refresh cannot wait until Montevina and doesn't need to wait until Montevina. Interesting rumour going around today: new MBPs will have option of 128 Gb SSD drives at same price point as 64 Gb option on MBA. SSD is big and geting...
Sorry, guys, but you're not listening. The special event is next week, not today. 7 days to go.
Thanks for that Jeff. i was looking for that article but couldn't find it. So, you think same processing power but less electricity consumption? You could be right, unless, of course, Apple blindsides us again with another unique chip?
The first iPhone was a home run despite not having 3G, GPS, battery life issuess, no cut and paste options, or a search facility in address book. With impending flash support, GPS integration, 3G and a host of other upgrades all arriving this year, iPhone 2 can only get better. It will take what is already a remarkable machine and simply blow any competing system into the weeds. NOKIA has already been KNOCKED OUT of smart phone contention. Add corporate server support...
I've been trying to analyse the implications of Centrino 2 in terms of what this may mean for the MacBook Pro and MacBook ranges. First of all, there can be no doubt that the Montevina chipset with Penryn 45 nm processors represents a real step-up in terms of performance. We'll get faster Macs with longer batttery life and smaller form factors. While we know for sure that a new MacBook Pro is in the pipeline, the $1,000,000 question is will Apple simply refresh the...