or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

This is good, common sense analysis. Thank you. I agree with what you say, except I think that Apple gives it a revised keyboard and trackpad and makes it slightly thinner with more rounded corners, this amounts to a full case redesign. (There's a mock of what it might look like on Edgadget)
Returning to the original title of this thread... ...the answer is aboslutely nothing! I have just played with my first MacBook Air in Apple's flagship store on London's Regent Street. I saw both the HDD and SSD versions. Jaw dropping is the only way to describe this machine. It is truly state-of-the-art. There are five points to make about it: 1. Attach a USB 2.0 hub and you can run the DVD drive, an Ethernet dongle/ USB wireless data card, a hard disk drive...
Let us suppose that Apple is going to release an updated MacBook Pro with Penryn on a Santa Rosa platform instead of Penryn on a Montevina platform - which is what Sony, Toshiba, Dell, Lenovo and HP are all doing. Guess what? No Penryn PCs have shipped yet. There was a delay due to an issue with cooling sensors. First, PC laptops with Penryn processors were meant to ship at the end of January. Then they were meant to ship this week, but didn't. Now they're meant to...
The answer to this question really depends on whether Apple launches a revised MacBook Pro. The answer to the more basic question: are you smarter than the analysts? is more interesting. They are certainly no smarter than us, because they are not privvy to any more inside information than we are. Therefore, like the rest of us, they can only guestimate based on previous experience, competitor activity, industry trends, vendor announcements and occasional insider...
I reported in a previous thread that the case design of the MBP WILL be changed when it is updated. Details are still unclear, but while the basic footprint is expected to be the same as it is now, the new model should include the new MBA keyboard, gesture touchpad and longer battery life. It may well be that Apple is waiting for the new Centrino Montevina mobile chipset to launch before releasing a new MacBook Pro. The packaging benefits of Montevia it a natural...
Superb article with a lot of effort put into writing it. Thanks and well done. i really enjoyed it. The photographs are good too. Wow! How can you not like the form factor of this baby? Amazing screen real-estate, very clever touch pad, and superb key board. I just think that little flip down panel needs to be a few centimetres longer with an ethernet port and an other USB port. Give me 128 GB SSD drive and I don't care what it costs, I'm there. in fact, I may be...
I think the case for aluminium is well made, pun intended. I am sure that eco-friendly concerns are very relevant to future Apple designs, especially as we enter an era of disposable electronics. Aluminium MacBooks prototypes have definitely been seen at Cupertino. I am not the only person to report this, so I think an update must surely be in the works. my guestimate is September and not before MacBook Pros get a refresh. A lot of people want the power of a MacBook Pro...
I know nothing about the release of a MacBook update. I was merely reporting protoypes seen doing the rounds at Cupertino. I suspect they're researching what customers want, but no decision has been made. If MacBook does go aluminium, annodized variants would be an easy shoe-in. I expect nthing before June or September. This is guesswork not fact, but I feel sure that Apple's plans for the MacBook Pro are very much being driven by early reaction to the MBA. There is one...
I want to backcomments with the report on Appleinsider that says Apple has increased production orders for notebooks and desktops. I do not believe that a 20% increase in notebook orders will come from the MBA, it will need a revised MacBook Pro.
This info comes to you from London via an Englishman working at Apple, (and there are more than you think ;-)) A revised MacBook Pro with a Leopard 10.5.2 update was meant to debut at MacWorld but neither was ready. The delay for the MBP was caused by Intel Penryn processors not being available due to some production glitch. As we all know, Apple doesn't like to announce products too far ahead of their shipping dates - with the notable exception of the iPhone - so...