or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

Can anyone provide info about the generation of Intel GPUs that will be incorporated in Haswell-equipped machines? My understanding is that they will represent a genuine leap in GPU performance and capability. I believe there will be three different models and that even the lowest will be equivalent to a 650M. 
You're right, but it's going too far to describe TC as a tool. He's doing a lot of stuff that SJ could never be bothered to do, including establishing a whole range of systems and processes that Apple needs grow from being an underdog attacker into the market leader. He's also repairing a lot of broken fences. As talented as SJ was, he alienated a lot of people. If you have too many enemies, we all know what happens when they gang up against you. Besides, TC is fully...
News about the impending arrival of a 13" RMBP is most welcome.   It strikes me that Apple has had quite a job cramming all the hardware it needs into the new slimmer enclosure on the 15" RMBP, so you can understand why doing the same job with the 13" might take longer.   I agree that all this nonsense about Intel's integrated GPU not being good enough is ridiculous. The 4000 is a step up. Haswell will be another. Intel gets it. They know that GPUs are a big...
Shortly after returning to Apple, Steve Jobs outlined the company's computer strategy using a  2 x 2 matrix, with laptops and desktops across one axis and users divided into professional and consumer markets across the other.    Today, that matrix seems to hold true: the professional desktop system remains the Mac Pro and the professional laptop remains the MacBook Pro, albeit nicely re-envisioned with the new retina-display 15.4" MBP model. For consumers, the...
Maybe it's better to wait until Mountain Lion is launched anyway? Migrating all your data to a new machine is hassle enough without having to load a new operating system too. 
  I think your comment is spot on. The new retina-equipped MacBook Pro is gorgeous - Everyone wants one, but we balk at the price. Most of us don't need the power it offers. For most of us a 13" Air with a retina display would be enough. I accept, however, that there may be real issues combining battery life and GPU power to drive a retina display in a either a 13" or 15" wedge-shaped Air unibody design. I am sure we will see a 13" MBP at some point, and hopefully with a...
The new MacBook Pro is clearly a brilliant replacement for both the current 15" and 17" models. Incredibly powerful, who needs a big heavyweight redundant desk-bound tower? Just plug the new 15" into an Apple display and you have the perfect desktop system as well as the perfect laptop.   That said, keeping the existing 13" and 15" models seems very schizophrenic. Don't Apple believe in their new 15" machine? And where was the new 13" MacBook Pro? Maybe the new 13"...
  Absolutely right. It will be a single simplified range of laptops in three sizes: 11", 13" and 15". Makes sense to call them MacBook. Within each product type there should be two processor options. BTO options should allow more RAM, larger hard disks, SSD versus HDD. And that's it. 
  This view has to be right. There would be little point in Apple entering the TV game at this stage unless it had some pretty cool new technology to bring to the party.    What could that be? Hardware revolution: Screen resolution, 3D, or perhaps it is software driven: the way TV content is distributed? Something like a new TV service as radical as iTunes to rival the likes of Sky broadcasting?    The move from analogue to digital is now complete in the UK and super fast...
In an ideal world, Steve Jobs would still be running Apple. Failing that, we want the next best thing. Tim Cook is the next best thing.   He clearly understood Steve Job's genius: his vision, passion, creativity and other idiosyncrasies. But Tim Cook is his own man. Clearly, he's immensely bright and immensely capable, but we shouldn't mistake his engaging and almost self-deprecating demeanour for a lack of equal energy, creativity and vision for Apple. I think Tim...