or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

I was re-reading some of the posts about the need for a redesign of the MBP. I think we may be expecting too much. I doubt there is much scope to make it thinner. It just needs the revised keyboard, gesture touchpad, faster chips and you're done. Why change it radically for the sake of it?
Faster chip will obviously come in 6 months time. 128Gb SSDs at a lower cost will also arrive at the same time. The syncing utily is an interesting idea, but maybe a new display that acts as a docking docking station might be a good thing too. Whatever those good people at Apple do, I'm sorry, but the MBA 2 has just gotta have an Ethernet port and a second USB port. Just redesign the flip down panel and make it longer to accommodate the extra ports. If this is...
I have been thinking about this for some time. I think we will not see a revised MBP just yet. The MBA is only just beginning to ship. it needs time to gain a market toe-hold. So why revise the MBP now? Why not wait another 12 weeks? Consumers are nervous right now. Purchases of big ticket items are slow. The markets continue to be uncertain. Most of the new Penryn-based PCs aren't that much of a leap forward. Maybe now isn't a good time to release another new...
The reasons for wanting a case redesign are very simple: 1. New Apple keyboard is excellent every Mac now has it, so why can't the top of the range MBPs have it too? 2. Sure, current MBP is a design classic, but it is heavy. Since new components have enabled other vendors to reduce their machines in size and weight, why can't Apple make the MBP case size correspondingly lighter? 3. Thinner would also be nice, because MBPs take up a lot of space in a brief case and like...
Shadow, thank you for that useful snippet of info. I'm sure you're right, but Montevina is reputed to be such a leap forward that releasing any upgrade now could be redundant when Montevina debuts in May. Let's face it, that is barely 12 weeks away. If that is the case, then Apple may only upgrade the MBP's chip now and not the outer casing design. This gives us three possble new MBP scanarios: 1. February refresh to MBP limited to new Penryn chip only with full design...
I think Vodafone's attempt to force T-Mobile to sell unlocked iPhones effectively stalled sales in Germany until the matter was resolved. After all, why buy a mobile that's only available on T-Mobile if there was a chance of being able to run it on an existing network without switching? What is interesting about the iPhone in Europe is that word of mouth endorsement among people who have bought one is starting to have an extremely positive effect on sales. Everyone in...
I suspect that the from factor of the next generation iPhone will remain unchanged. From an ergonomic standpoint, the design is already excellent. What we need is revisions under the hood. Everyone expects 3G - certainly if the iPhone is to crack Europe) and 16GB (hey, we may even get a 32GB model!! ) to store all those movies Apple wants us to rent/ buy. But what we also need, almost before any increased functionality, is better battery life. It may be that the...
The one reliable rumour consistently reported across various Mac blogs and forums is the gesture trackpad premiered with the MacBook Air will be introduced into the MacBook Pro line-up. If this is correct, and the next version of the MacBook Pro is going to get a revised trackpad, then won't it be necessary to redesign the keyboard area to provide more real estate for gestures? And if the new MBP gets a revised keyboard and new trackpad, then wouldn't it also make...
Great article. Nice to see opinions backed up with robust data.
While I note that yesterday Piper Jaffray cited Apple's plunging share price as a buying opportunity, anyone who bought the stock yesterday would have already lost money. Given the robustness of other sectors at this difficult time, I don't believe anyone is well advised to buy tech stocks right now. We need the market to stabilize off the back of interest rate cuts.