or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

An interesting thought has occurred to me about the MacBook Pro refresh. If it has a sleeker form factor, all of the expected ports and connectivity options most of us still need, a built-in DVD drive (incl. BlueRay option), 128Gb SSD hard drive option, a 15" LED screen, gesture touchpad and weighs around 4 lbs or 5 lbs, then it may offer just what most people were expecting from the MacBook Air. In other words, for the next ieration of the MBP to be a home run, it...
I tend to agree with this. The outlook is gloomy, not because of a "lacklustre" Macworld, but because everyone has less disposable income for buying fancy electroinc toys right now. People with sizeable loans in particular have seen interest payments increase markedly in recent months. (But hey, isn't that the whole point of interest rate hikes, to make people save instead of spend?) That said, Apple stock has been overvalued through hype for some time. A correction was...
I think this article is great news. If Apple has allowed details of tjhe refresh to be leaked, then it means they've heard us all griping about the lack of MBPs at Macworld. Thank you Apple. I am sure these machines are going to be great. i can hardly wait:Generous 15" LED screen Gesture touchpad New keyboard Plenty of ports A bit thinner A bit lighter Blue Ray DVD player option SSD Flash memory otion Longer battery life It's gonna sell like hot cakes. Way to go Apple....
Walter, I think you are absolutely right. SSD is the future for all notebooks and not just the MacBook Air. I don't think anyone realizes how dramatic the improvement on battery life and boot-up times will be with a flash equipped machine. While it is certainly a question of price, it is also a question of technology. Larger capacity drives haven't reached production yet. I will certainly consider the MBA when it gets more memory. But returning to the thread topic, what...
You are of course, right and I am a muppet. But you just gotta have more than one USB port on this machine. You need that flexibility. When I look through these posts, I think what everyone wanted was 13"and 15" aluminum MackBooks which are a whole lot slimmer than they are now, with DVD drives, with at least 3 USB ports and a removeable battery. I think the iPhone makes the MBA redundant in many respects.
If Apple updates the MacBook Pro design in February, we'll all be laughing, Montevina Centrino chipset or not. But if they just upgrade to a Penryn processor without doing anything else, then it looks like we'll have to wait until September before getting a proper redesign. I say this because Apple has now been burned a couple of times for having product lifecycles that are too short. It is easy to get into a situation where everyone puts off buying a new PC because...
I certainly agree with all the comments that a MacBook Pro revamp is way overdue. While there is an obvious need to give the New MacBok Air time to establish itself without competing with Apple's own products, the real reason for the delay is that Intel won't be launching the next iteration of the mobile Centrino platform 'Montevina' until May 2008. Montevina is an important development, because it offers a slew of important new features. Chief among them is a...
If I were to summarise criticisms of the new MacBook Air, the omission of a DVD drive doesn't really matter because you can buy one; the real problem is a lack of USB ports. Personally, I would have liked to see 2 USB ports as a bare minimum and ideally four. I also think there should have been an Ethernet port. The reasons for this are:Attaching a USB mouse Attaching a priter Using a USB broadband modem (very big in Europe) Charging iPhone/ iPod Using USB memory...
There can be no doubt that the MacBook Air is a gorgeous and desirable addition to the Mac range. While I welcome its technical innovation, clever packaging and attractive design, I was very disappointed that the rest of the Mac laptop range was not updated. I am not convinced the the MBA can be an everyday laptop, although I will willingly eat my words once I've played with it and discovered that it has as much functionality as a regular MacBook. The MacBook Pros as...
Kephisto, you're absolutely right. I just travelled in another country for ten days with only my iPhone. Utterly brilliant. Sure there are a bunch of things that could be improved, but right now, as of this moment, there is no other machine that I would rather use instead. I think the new ultraportable Apple laptop's biggest competitor is likely to be the iPhone - but that probably won't stop me getting one!