or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

Yes, the whole Apple ID and Apple App store and iTunes stores account management system needs to be overhauled. As we Apple's customer base have grown and evolved in how we use Apples many products and services, we built layers of complication by having multiple accounts, multiple devices and as we've migrated from one system to another or from an old machine to a new one. I would like to be able to change Apple ID data with ease, selecting email address I choose...
The only problem for Apple is that the appetite for smart phones is so great that it may lose potential purchases (and thus market share) as people invesigate Samsung's ever shortening product cycles. You know, it's the: 'I think I'll try a Sammy while I wait for the next iPhone' mentality. The smart phone market is going ballistic right now. It's like a landgrab for customers. I wonder what % of both potential and existing customers Samsung is stealing from Apple by...
I was very struck by the product matrix that Steve Jobs created when he returned to Apple. Instead of hundreds of different SKUs with a bewildering range of features and price points but no real differentiation, he created a simple 2 x 2 diagram with Consumer and Professional along one axis and Desktop and Notebook across the other. The result was the iMac and MacPro and the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. I wonder if the time has come to create a new matrix that now...
Ivy Bridge = more power, better GPU, lower TDP, and longer battery life.This looks about right. But when the 11" and 13" Airs get Ivy Bridge, they'll be as powerful as today's MacBook Pros. The distinction between the two product lines seems as if it will diminish. If this is right, I wonder if the new line-up will be called simply MacBooks? The answer may lie in whether the 17" model is replaced with a new thinner version. If it is, then the dual line will probably be...
Very helpful summary. Thank you. But specs alone don't tell the whole story. The speed of the 3G versus the 1 was noticeably faster, making web surfing better The battery life of the 3GS versus the 3 was noticeably longer - if you watched video, you couldn't get through the day without recharging The speed, battery life and screen quality were markedly better on the 4 versus the 3GS In each case, I felt the user experience provided by each model was substantially improved...
Whether this rumour is true or not, the iPhone 4S remains a fairly minor upgrade and demand is likely to recede in 2012, certainly in established Western markets, without price initiatives that tempt customers to switch. IPhone growth is likely to be driven by Apple entering new markets. A lot of existing iPhone users, myself included, have bought every single model. Each successive one was a quantum leap above the previous version making the decision to upgrade almost a...
Whatever Digitimes thinks, they must be partly right. We know iPad 3 is coming and we know IPhone 5 is coming while a MacBook Pro re-design has also been rumoured for some time now. So not really news at all. This year was the year of OSX 10.7 and iOS 5 software with only speed bumps to existing hardware designs Next year it will be hardware redesigns and incremental upgrades to its software. In this respect, Apple is moving to an Intel-esque tick-tock...
Thanks for putting me right on that. Yes, 264 dpi would be a thoroughly worthwhile improvement over 132. If it's already doable, maybe Apple is looking at a resolution higher than 264, which is why it has experienced problems?Yes, obviously. This discussion makes me wonder when regular 13"-15" Apple laptops will get hi res screens with an equivalent resolution?
This is a very sensible, intelligent comment. Let's not forget that the iPhone's success is due in no small part to its touch screen technology. Before it came along, there were no touch screen devices. Now everyone is using them. At the moment the screen resolution on an Amazon Kindle is around 300 dpi, which makes it very good for reading books and better than the iPad 2. The 80 dpi resolution of the iPad 1 and 2 is okay for most things, but even without the better...
This is the IPhone I hoped the 4S would be. I love the large 4.5" screen. I like the thinness and teardrop shape, which seems like it'll be a trend that follows in in the slipstream of the latest MacBook Air. Overall, it looks light and handy. But why release it when the iPhone 4 is still doing so well? The 4S is a respectable bump, but this new design is the next generation. I am keeping with my IPhone 4 for the time being. Should this or something like this...