or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

I can't make up my mind about yesterday's new IPhone launch. On one hand, I am actually quite relieved by the iPhone 4S's relatively lacklustre update. Apple has been on such a breakneck course of new product launches since 2007, you couldn't help wondering how long they could keep it up. Everyone at Cupertino has been working at 100% capacity for some time. Those that fall by the wayside get fired; those who succeed get promoted. Without some kind of regular update...
The debate about whether Apple will launch only a 4s model, or a 4S model plus a 5 is interesting. I don't think Apple can get away with only releasing a mild upgrade to the existing design. As someone who has bought every successive iPhone model, I wouldn't change handsets unless the cost was negligible. There is pent-up demand for a new iPhone handset, not only because the changeover is three months overdue but also because of the antenna issues of last year. They...
Getting back on topic, guys... I see this MacBook Pro refresh as somewhat futile. For many users, the latest MacBook Air is sufficient, apart from the fact that SSD disk size is limited to 256 GB. This machine effectively makes the 13" MacBook Pro redundant. Moreover, everybody is now anticipating Ivy Bridge and a new enclosure design for the 15" and 17" MBP models. Many buyers will simply wait. It looks almost certain as if a 15" MacBook Air will get quad core...
Steve Jobs leaving Apple fills me with an intense and brooding sense of impending loss. No man who has so brilliantly led and built such an amazing business leaves it unless he has to. I don't want to suggest what Steve's departure from Apple signifies, i only wish it wasn't so. Since returning to Apple, Steve has set out to build a company that was bigger than any individual person in it, including himself. The top team is probably the strongest of any global top...
I was someone who would have bought a new macBook Air but didn't because i needed a larger hard drive capacity than 256 GB offered by its SSD drive. i wonder how long it'll be before Airs are available with 512 GB drives? Any chance that Apple will increase SSD capacities before next refresh?
I am interested to see how current MacBook Pro sales are holding out after the intro of the revised Air. My thoughts are that if sales have softened, then Apple will into due a new MBP enclosure design sooner rather than later, i.e. it won't wait for Ivy Bridge. That said, I wonder if the real bottleneck to a new MBP launch isn't the processor, but SSD pricing. Assuming that Apple maintains two different computer lines, Air and Pro, and both junk the DVD drive, how it...
[@Marvin Thanks for that. Interesting and informative. When do you think a 500 Gb SSD will be a BTO option for the MBA?
@Marvin and Wizard 69 The thing about the latest Air is that it is quite a lot better than the Core2Duo 13" MacBook Pros that so many of us have been using for a couple of years. So, yes, a large number of potential customers don't need the power of a MacBook Pro including many existing MacBook Pro users. For MacBook Pro users like myself, who are ready to replace 2-3-year old machines with something new, it puts us in a bit of a quandary. Do we go for the MacBook...
Yes, the benefits of OSX Lion 10.7.0 seem to more than outweigh any potential bugs or problems. I haven't encountered any so far. The only potential downside about upgrading now is using legacy software programs that haven't been optimised for Lion. At worst, they may crash, but you probably need an update from the software vendor not Apple. All in all, I'm finding Lion a slick and useful new OS. Should buy with confidence.
Wizard69 i think you're right about Apple being able to offer a redesigned enclosure regardless of whether Ivy Bridge is available or not. Will they do it come October or will they wait until IB is ready in February / March 2012? I don't think they can afford to wait until the new year. There is pent-up demand for new MacBook Pros. Many users are simply buying the new MacBook Air instead. As things stand, the new Air is an excellent machine but with three...