or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

I like the new Airs very much. The performance upgrade is impressive and hats off to Apple for listening to everyone who asked for the return of a backlit keyboard. But... ...I need more on-board memory. ...I like a 15" screen. ...I like the horsepower of my MacBook Pro. ...I like the discrete graphics processor. What I don't like is the weight of the 15" MacBook Pro, let alone the 17". I mean seriously, who totes around that machine on a daily basis? (I...
Finally, someone talking sense on this forum. +1,000. Damn right. There is no earthly reason for Apple to offer a revised iPad 2 at this stage. As soon as you start interrupting replacement cycles with unexpected product updates, you risk consumer inertia with people postponing purchase because they believe the next model is just around the corner. Apple has more to lose than to gain by introducing a new version of the iPad 2 now. The iPad 2 was meant to get a higher...
Thanks for that. perhaps what I should have asked is what is the most likely top end processor for the SB 13" Air and how will that compare to a 2009 C2D 13 MBP?
@Wizard69 How likely is a 15" MacBook Air or is this thread pure speculation? The more I read about such a machine, the more I want one. It would be perfect in so many ways. Perhaps Appleinsider (Caspar) can tell us whether there is a legitimate business case for this model? Maybe this machine is actually the next generation MacBook Pro, but instead of being called an Air it will still be called the 15" MBP but dispense with the on-board DVD drive? In the...
As usual, most of the comments here are 'glass half empty' criticisms based on unsubstantiated speculation. I think the bottom-line is that MBAs with Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt are likely to be an insanely desirable pice of technological hotness.All the more if 19-nanometer process gives us 400MBps and 512 Gb of memory. Will the new MBAs be useless in 3 year's time? I doubt it.
Really interesting thread. There can be no doubt that a 15" MBA would be eagerly snapped up by the mac faithful including myself. You and Wizard69 have done a good job in listing the key features; to summarise: 25W CPU Core i7 CPU with discrete GPU 4 GB RAM standard and BTO option of 8 GB 256 GB SSD standard and BTO OPTION OF 512 GB and 1TB LED screen with 1920x1200 or 1680x1050 Back-lit keyboard Thunderbolt port 2 x USB SD card slot A 15" MBA enclosure should...
I kinda disagree with you. I was a 15" MacBook Pro user who downgraded to a 13" model because of the weight. Since I bought an Apple monitor to plug my MacBook Pro into when in the Office, I don't miss the screen real estate. I did consider the 13" Air but really it doesn't have enough power or GPU performance for my needs or memory. Basically, I want 13" MBP power in an Air size. A 15" Air would give me back the screen real estate in a machine that weighs less than a 13"...
Dave, We have this strange situation where Steve Jobs has announced that the MacBook Air is the future blueprint for all Apple laptop computers, but where the Air as it stands has neither the processor performance nor storage capacity to meet the needs of power users. So the question is when does a 13.3" Air become a substitute for the 13.3" Pro? Some people might say when it gets Sandy Bridge, 8 Gb of RAM, and 512 Gb SSD hard drive (as well as Thunderbolt,...
Constant reports of an imminent MacBook Air upgrade to Sandy Bridge processors plus Thunderbolt ports is creating hype that borders on hysteria. Talk about hotly anticipated... Looks like the 11" MacBook Air is starting to displace the 13" white MacBook as the entry-level Mac. It isn't yet clear how a high-end Sandy Bridge Core i7 processor in a 13" MBA will perform relative to the January release of the 2.7 Ghz Core i7 in the latest 13" MacBook Pro, but it seems...
For me one of the most significant aspects of yesterday's WWDC was the ability for documents to be held in the cloud. I presently store critical files using my iDisk because guaranteeing the availability of a presentation, contract and other mission critical files is vital. While iDisk is okay, it isn't exactly fast. iCloud looks as though it's going to speed things up, which is great. I also like the multi-device functionality that you'll soon get with Keynote, Pages...