or Connect

Posts by Tailpipe

Well, you're entitled to your opinion too. For the record, and as other posts here attest, the antenna issue is real for some people. Though it is not an issue for me, I could not ignore the weight of evidence that suggests it is a genuine concern. I don't think Apple handled the problem very well and issuing free bumpers without admitting anything or providing any kind of hardware/ software fix left me confused. As I said, it has created a perception well covered by the...
As launch date for iphone 5 draws closer, I guess the speculations about specifications will soon reach fever pitch. The re-spacing of the camera flash further from the lens is worthwhile, but in the whole scheme of things is the least of Apple's problems. I will be very disappointed if iPhone 5 is simply a speed bump of the existing design. Attractive as the iPhone 4 is, it needs major work if Apple is to stay on top: 1. The antenna issue is real for a lot of...
I agree, but deliberately putting a lower quality screen in the MacBook Pro risks customers migrating towards the Air and, should they feel that they can survive with an inferior processor, they may not come back when the Pro gets a better screen and more powerful processor. As things stand the price points of the 13" Air and 13" Pro models are so close, that the Air wins through its form factor.
You are absolutely right. There is no other logical reason why Apple would short-change 13" macBook pro users. Double resolution IPS panels for the next version of the MacBook Pro would be excellent. You are raising what is bound to become the next hottest topic to be debated on Apple fanboy websites. Assuming an anticipated release in January 2012, or as soon after Ivy Bridge is itself released, speculation should become rife around November. While many users will want...
Although cost is obviously a factor governing any choice to include higher capacity SSDs in the MBA, is it even possible for Apple to offer a 512 Gb SSD in theSB MacBook Air when it launches? What is needed (20 Nm blades?) and does anyone make the necessary hardware yet?
Introduction I wanted to tie-up a number of very interesting ideas, rumours and reports to suggest what Apple will offer us in the near future. My start point is a glass that’s very much half full rather than half empty. The unibody construction Apple adopted with the first Air and then rolled out across its entire MacBook line-up makes its machines among the most functional and robust of any laptop computers available today. People often describe Apple as being...
I think you're right. In fact, I'd go even further and say that 75% of MacBook Pro users aren't CPU constrained either. where incremental performance is gradually becoming more than most users need. Rather like cars, very few of us need one with more than 300 bhp. I remember that Bill Gates once said that 512 Kb of memory should be just about enough for anyone, so maybe it is better to say we've reached a point of diminishing returns,..Not so with GPU performance for...
Good post. Sandy Bridge is a big step forward in terms of both power over C2D. i wonder whether the combined processor and GPU on the motherboard will liberate more space to allow for a slighter fatter battery? Secondly, it has been more than six months since intel's onboard GPU arrived. In that time, Intel hasn't stood still. Will they have tweaked performance? Whatever we get, I am expecting a big step-up in performance and a modest gain in battery life. My biggest...
Without question, I would go for the 27" iMac with Thunderbolt and a 13" MacBook Air with Thunderbolt (arriving June). This gives you the perfect mobile solution when you're travelling and marries it to a perfect and more powerful desktop solution for when you're static. It really is the best of all worlds. As much as I respect Wizard69's knowledge and wisdom, I don't think the iPad is a great mobile system. I certainly don't like using it for generating, reviewing...
I'm not convinced by the 3G card either, it's a 'nice to have' rather than 'must have'. IPS screens would be truly amazing. Beyond increasing processor speed, screen resolution has to be a major factor in making successive computers better. I don't think such technology is ready for prime time just yet. In the meantime, double resolution is going to be a useful step in the right direction. I note that Sumsung has begun production of 64 GB SSD chips using its new 20 Nm...