or Connect

Posts by shetline

I just found out a couple of hours before you posted your above comment that the tower won't work to hold my optical drives -- the delivery was this morning.Actually, the outer width of the case is just about equal to the width of the optical drives. They'll sit very neatly on top of the case... just not inside of it. I let myself get fooled by the appearance of the tower in pictures, where it looks very much like a different tower I already own that can hold optical...
 Perhaps I should be using the phrase "Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack" instead of calling these things hot-swap trays: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998020 That's the kind of drive carrier built into the enclosure that I chose, and it's the same basic width and height as a standard optical drive (149mm x 42mm).
 I'm talking about opening up the enclosure's case and removing a whole drive tray from inside, not trying to squeeze an optical drive into a tray. Those trays mount inside a PC case the same way a full-sized optical drive does. The SATA connector that plugs into the back of the tray can be plugged into the optical drive instead.
 Nice. I wonder if, in JBOD mode, that enclosure would happily accommodate an optical drive or two? You'd obviously have to pull out one or two of the hot-swap drive trays, but unlike the enclosure I chose, there's no door that gets in the way that would have to be removed or modified.
 I'm pretty sure (I am taking a chance, since I don't know for sure) that this box should function in essentially the same way as hooking up to the single interface on a USB hub, with multiple drives plugged into that hub.Since this box supports JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks), rather than trying to present all of the drives as one unified storage device (as with a RAID set), the most straightforward way to do that would be to simply let each drive show up over USB as an...
 I'm definitely not seeing this as an Apple-only problem. I'm underawed with new desktop and workstation performance advances in general. A new Windows workstation purchased today would not be leaps and bounds ahead of a comparably priced workstation purchased six years ago either. It does make a certain amount of sense that this is, at least in part, due to a shift in focus to mobile processors. At any rate, I went ahead and ordered one of these USB 3.0 JBOD tower...
 That's encouraging because Handbrake is one application where I'd most like to see a performance boost. I have an ongoing project of ripping and re-encoding a large Blu-ray and DVD collection. With the settings I'm using for the quality I want, 1080p video is currently encoding at only a little faster than real-time speed. I haven't compared GPU speeds from my old Mac Pro to the new, but I'm guessing there's a much more impressive performance increase there.
 Yes, Thunderbolt would be overkill for the optical drives -- but I'd love to have one enclosure with both my optical and hard drives, so if the optical drives got more bandwidth than they really needed in order for the hard drives to perform better, so be it. As for a 6 bay USB 3.0 enclosure, here's the closest thing I could find to what I have in mind, with 8 bays: http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid-/tr8uplusb.html That's designed just for hard drives, but perhaps by...
 Part of my complaint wasn't just messy, but expensive. Have you priced a four bay Thunderbolt drive enclosure? I can't even tell if any of these would work as I want them to work, as "JBOD" (Just a Bunch of Disks), rather than RAID solutions. These things are sold as high-performance, data-protecting RAID solutions, and priced accordingly. Even if any of these enclosures would do the job, we're talking about $500 or more just to find a new home for drives that my old Mac...
I'm not sure what the price $2800 has to do with this, but are you trying to say that my 2008 Mac Pro was a surprisingly low profit margin system, and the new Mac Pro will have a much higher profit margin, so that's why a comparable price tag isn't yielding a greater increase in performance after six years? Maybe that's part of what's going on here, but there's still a slowdown in processing power advancement on top of that.   By the way, I'm seeing prices more in the...