or Connect

Posts by sslarson

Who's being exploited? (this should be good) How was that "public" land originally acquired? (I'll give you one guess)
Of course it is not. The free and voluntary exchanges of work for hire, lending of money and buying of legally owned property are decidedly not theft or stealing.
Property taken by force is always and everywhere stealing. Oh and the rule of law doesn't mean what I think you think it means. It means that no one (including the government) is above or beyond the law. That train has left the station a while ago in this country.
Christians are also admonished from stealing. They only way to accomplish forced "sharing is through theft.
When it is forced it isn't really sharing any more now is it. Which is why I put "sharing" in quotes. I did not, however, put forced in quotes because that is quite real. And, yes, I believe doing it by force is bad.One way to do it would be to eliminate the government "sharing" (giving away) of money and use the resulting surplus to pay off the debt. It could probably be done in about a decade if you eliminated such "sharing" programs from the federal budget. You could...
Does that justify it?I do. Some people also like to force me to "share" also.
I have no idea what you're talking about here. Please explain.And what was I talking about? And actually, you aren't only talking about money:Here you are talking about how money you have to give is being used in a way inconsistent with your beliefs, values, principles, wishes and desires. It's not just about the money, it's always about what the money is used for. And it's also about whether you have any substantive choice in that. Is it fair for people who are opposed to...
I wasn't implying that at all. You brought up the tax break. I simply pointed out that my own personal giving has nothing to do with whether I get one or not. For some people it might.What about those who aren't willing to pay for those things? Should they be compelled to pay for them?What's interesting is that you have that in most every other area of your life except for government. Need to eat? You get choose multiple times a day (not every year, two years or four...
Agreed.Yes. It already is. I expect it to increase.Good for you. I donate a large portion of my income to causes of my choosing as well. If my tax bill was less I'd probably donate even more. BTW...I don't donate because I get a tax break. That's merely a financial benefit I receive because I've already chosen to give.Yes. So? What's your point? The Biblical challenge to tithing* was a challenge to voluntary giving. I'm all for that. *Oh and the tithing (10%) principle is...
I'm not sure who you're speaking of exactly ("someone who is against a basic principle of pretty much all known religions on the planet"), but as to the question "Is sharing the wealth a Christian value?"...the idea of charity and generosity...I believe that answer is a resounding yes! However, it's important to remember that, this is a principle that that is motivated by the heart as a voluntary activity as opposed to the forcible "sharing" of the wealth as is...