or Connect

Posts by battiato1981

Thanks for peeling back the curtain on this series of industry attacks; excellent article.   By paying attention to the rise of Apple over the years and all the fabricated flaps along the way, it's been a masters course in the art of message manipulation that you can extrapolate to the entire universe of modern media in whatever field that has opposing forces/vested interests. 
The Walter Issacson book was a big disappointment. Despite all the hype, for those that were familiar with many of the well publicized events in the life of Jobs, it was just a rehash, and an uninspired one at that.    I was really hoping for some greater insights into his youth, adoptive family, hippie travels, time at Reed college ...  some of the really formative stuff. And then, greater depth on his years in the wilderness at Next, from the people that he worked with...
Yes, Microsoft (800+ billion at peak, adjusted for inflation), and topping all recent records, IBM in 70's sometime at 1.4 trillion, adjusted for inflation. I read it on Wikipedia, so it must be true (!) (Writing on the fly at the moment so this is from sketchy memory after looking into it a couple of months ago.)
 Can we qualify that statement ... they work on closed courses, where everything is assiduously mapped. And only a very, very, very small area has been mapped like that. On the open roads where you might see them in Mountain View and environs, there is always a human driver of course ... driving. It might function as a kind of advanced cruise control right now, but that's about it. Come to think of it, that's where a lot of this tech might end up, in a highway cruise...
Agreed, not for a long, long time anyway. People who are predicting that true self-driving cars will be on all our highways and side streets in 5 years are going to be disappointed. Ain't happening ... That said, I'm sure that there are lots of benefits in trying to develop the technology now and using bits of it to improve safety in regular cars though. Not sure how that helps Google but I think that they are mostly doing it to boost their wowie brainshare.  As for this...
Wow, that is incredible execution, can't really get my mind around it.    I think that this whole year will be more of the same, like this ...
Strikes me as a bit bass ackwards, maybe it's just me but I find using my thumb the most natural digit for using the fingerprint sensor - hands down (... phone up ...) (pun intended).   The only way that my index finger would find itself resting on the back of my phone would be if I was trying to hold a phone that was as wide as a paperback book.   I do have one index finger cataloged for occasional use which is that rare time when I want to unlock without picking it...
Love the video, love the calligraphy, love the effort by Apple to bring these together. I had previously read about this at Business Insider early in the week; they had posted a translation that seemed clunky and almost machine made, with a last line that made no sense (hard to know whether that's a fat fingered typo or really what the translator wanted to say): The light of water sparkles on a sunny day, and misty mountains lend excitement to the rain. I like to compare...
This looks pretty limited and clunky but for all the derision directed at Google Glass and now this project by MS, you can bet on it that Apple is tinkering around with their own version of an eyeglass-like wearable. I read that they've had things like this in their labs for at least a decade. Clearly, they don't have anything ready for prime time. But it's only a matter of time. 
Clear, quick, obvious and right ...   This shouldn't have been dragged on so long. One small consolation is the time and treasure wasted by whoever was behind this. That is just deserts of a sort ...