or Connect

Posts by battiato1981

Long over due, hoping this rumor is true and that springtime is the launch date.
This whole case truly makes my head spin. Going to the WSJ and reading the comment section there is mostly an exercise in the vast spectrum of political spin doctoring leaning heavily toward the side of 'well, all those SV democrats supported Obama so I hope they finally learn but I doubt it' kind of thing. At least one very serious commenter believes that Bromwich is also empowered to determine why Apples hardware 'costs so much more than the market average'.   I find...
> ahem <   Boo, Hiss!   There, I voted my shares.   The man cares only about the short term profit and then he is gone. 
    Given the context, I think you mean zenith?
 The point was never to lower your personal premium, but to provide affordable care for more, unfortunately not all, of our people and put a brake on the runaway cost increases of care. My premiums are going up too, not sure by how much yet since I haven't selected which plan for my family yet. I make too much to qualify for any subsidy - lucky me. My families benefits will increase, I'll pay my way and I suppose help fund the subsidies for others with lower incomes. I...
They need gaming integration and some version of a body motion sensor would be a natural for them. Besides mere catch-up with that, maybe they can leap-frog.
Apple never operates that way ... They don't do loss leaders. The publishers were angst ridden over the overly low price that Amazon was selling their titles at, eroding the perceived value of their hard cover printings. You're suggesting that Apple to exactly the same thing as Amazon. 
  So a family of four goes to a new movie at a local theater, cost for the evening - $70, including refreshments. Compare with, a family of four stays home and rents a movie online, cost, $15, including refreshments from their cupboards. Same item, same content owner, different venue/format.   So I ask you - does the owner of the content have a right to decide how the content is distributed? Does the owner of the content decide how long after the theatrical release the...
  I like the comparison that you laid out ... does anyone know which is closest to what is alleged to have happened? I would think that Apple knows the legal pitfalls of grand negotiations like this, so I would be surprised if they got them all together in one room with their lawyers to hammer it out.   At the same time, it's still rather strange to me that a publisher wouldn't be free to set the price of their authors books using the agency model and to have that price...
This whole matter has been interesting to follow and a bit hard to suss out but right now I see it as a framing dispute. Amazon (with the DOJ acting as proxy) frames Apples effort as price fixing, while it seems to me that Apple is guilty of trying to persuade the publishers to switch to the 'agency model' for pricing ebooks. But that doesn't equate to price fixing.   Glossing over some of the comments, I note that books aren't a commodity like gasoline. Titles,...