or Connect

Posts by battiato1981

Steve - Your leadership and vision have been second to none. I hope that you can have more time with your family now, and that your health by some miracle improves. You've been my inspiration, you've shown us a future that 'just works'. Thank you always.
[QUOTE=ash471;1921684 In short, it may benefit Google to lose market share.[/QUOTE] I guess that would be the version where it's a win/win, since that would definitely benefit Apple. Aa would having a competitor who is playing for the high margin iPhone clones, thereby supporting Apple prices, instead of the BOGO spawn strategy.
You mean these court decisions actually have teeth? Well, blow me over ...
Not saying that there isn't some truth in what he says given the current state of affairs what with patent warfare and rampant patent troll extortion. That said, the quote above really comes across as sour grapes for a company that established the stalking horse bid and constantly extolls the benefits of 'openness' and 'innovation' while stoking the fires of the Android copy machine.
And yet, per Erics own mouth, Jobs gave him the mother of all tongue lashings for copying the Iphone, once Android was revealed. Eric was either at Burning Man or on his way at the time ... If, as you claim, Apple was well aware of Googles 'borrowing' of the iPhone look and feel for Android before it was released, that wouldn't make much sense. But sure, the story is more nuanced than the simple theft. Making outrageous statements like Eric just did takes that nuance...
Sure, I'm getting carried away here, no problem admitting that. But to your point about taking Eric to court, they would never do it that way, even though he did what he did. They would first let the product (Android) fly or fail in the court of public opinion, study what was violated and then attack that. Apple still has business arrangements with Google and is likely to far into the future. There was personal violation in the form of Erics dealings, but this is still...
Serious answer, he was privy to all sorts of high level privileged info as both a board member and business partner during most of the years that Apple was developing the iPhone. He was able to jumpstart a skunkworks in Google and feed Andy Rubin Apples touchscreen MO and other design/business plans. All in secret, in violation of his non-disclosure. Criminal action, cut and dried. But the damage has been done & instead of going after the perp, the sensible thing is go...
Yep, Eric is worried, as he should be. In my book what he did behind Apples back while serving on the board of directors is tantamount to corporate espionage. He's a weasel of the nth degree. Apple put four years of hard and original work into making a totally new device, which everyone has since copied. They are totally justified in trying to protect that investment at this early stage in the game. Saying that now that we've copied you, you should innovate your way...
Too soon to say about much of this but as one who considers much of Androids design a total rip of Apples and a betrayal by Eric Schmidt, I would love to see some kind of payback down the line here. And if Larry Ellison gets in on the fun, I would feel even better about it. I 'love the competition' and all, but straight up copying something as brilliant as the iPhone with no comeuppance would be like Rupert Murdoch getting away with bribing cops.
In my early reading about the case, it seemed like the underlying issue was not whether Apple would pay licensing fees for these patents or not but rather, at what cost. Nokia was likely trying to gouge them in order to inflict revenge through onerous terms. Most news accounts spin it as Apple trying to get out of paying anything at all, but don't believe it. This was just a hardball negotiation tactic. Probably not a coincidence that with Elop in charge, that Nokia has...