or Connect

Posts by battiato1981

OK, I don't happen to own a Kindle, but can Apple get their iBook app on there and sell their titles to Kindle owners with no cut to Amazon once someone is in the app? Just curious, like I said, don't own one. That would be telling though.edit: Just using the Amazon Marketplace as an overall analogy, I realize that this is less about books and all about subs. Publishers selling magazine make the lions share of their money with ads, of course.
How about if Apple charged the same fee that Amazon charges independent bookstores in their Marketplace program for sales of books found through the Amazon website. These same bookstores sometime have their own sites and/or list through ABE. What's the cut for Amazon in that case, just the cost of processing the payment? ... somehow, I doubt that.
No ... you're talking about in-app purchases. From people who have already purchased an app from the iTunes store. That customer was sourced by Apple, and the developer, customer and Apple benefitted. And the process was quick and in most cases less costly than any other method of distribution known before. Now you're saying that once the developer has the customer in the app, that the relationship with Apple is over, but there is continued value to you from your...
What is the percentage that Amazon takes from an outside, independent Amazon Marketplace vendor accessed through their site? Anyone know? Can I install an iBook app on my Kindle and make iBook purchases on my Kindle with no money at all flowing to Amazon? ... well?
I challenge you to show me a system where a writer, author or publisher would get more than 70%, excepting from their own website. And of course, Apple is not taking away that ability in any way. In traditional publishing, there are far more hands out to get paid along the way. If they want to get their 100% they can invest in the advertising, though whatever media, to get the word out. That costs significant bucks by the way.
Not many credit card companies deliver new customers and deliver the goods to your doorstep. They just process a sale that someone else has worked to achieve.
Agree with what you say, except that part about Steve Jobs ... he will be what people will remember even if he just has a cameo ... that's just the nature of his star power on stage now. Love that date - 1/1/11 ... I guess they want to be #1 ...
Your first pocket comment seemed to be serious but now you seem to be joking ... can't quite tell where you are on this. What's obvious is that corporate types don't stuff their precious gizmos in their pockets, they carry the appropriate case for the item and protect them accordingly. That is if you are using the thing for presentations, meetings, and the like. If RIMM thinks that the ability to jam a Playbook in a coat pocket is going to gain them corporate customers,...
(Well, after looking at the Madrid High Court campus, I guess I should eat those words. Beautiful building.)[/QUOTE] Compare building skin to the Seattle Central Library by REM Koolhaas ... a wonderful forward looking building that is also highly functional and humanistic ... Actually, with a name like that, I wonder if Koolhaas was on the shortlist.
The Disney feel struck me immediately too and made me smile given Jobs role at Disney itself. Apple is one of the few business entities carrying the design world utopia banner that had been Walts way back in the early sixties. My young mind really latched onto those images but it all fizzled in the low-brow, oil crisis, downer seventies ... Still, this should be a beautiful project, pleasant place to work and hopefully an renewable energy showcase. One thing for sure, in...