or Connect

Posts by ranger_one

Agreed!  It is one amazing device.  Every time I pick it up I need to fight the urge to upgrade the iPad 1 the kids have, just because mine is so insanely gorgeous.   I spoke to a couple guys at my local Apple store a few weeks back, and they said they're selling like crazy.  I asked them about it cannibalizing laptop sales; they wouldn't say or didn't know, but as we were talking it became even more apparent to me that Apple is on-boarding so many new customers with...
If you thought of a feature that gave you a competitive advantage in a highly-competitive, copy-machine-crazy cell phone industry, why would you NOT patent it? Simple things can be patented, too - and they are often the most defensible. The question as to whether this is an original and defensible patent is another one. I think it's similar to plugging in a USB device and having the computer go online to find the drivers, but perhaps the "app" focus is enough to...
I can't believe Apple isn't keeping iDisk around in iCloud. It's worked great for me for years now, syncing a large folder between all my devices and letting me easily share individual files (with password and expiration date, if desired). In seconds I can share a document from iDisk on my phone with anyone. I have a DropBox account, but rarely use it since iDisk works so well. Apple, please listen! Documents in the Cloud is a hobbled solution in that it can only be...
The Xserves were so deep because that's the industry standard. These machines fit into racks and are designed to be pulled out on rails, even while operating. They need to be that deep so the rails can hook into the rear of the rack. You wouldn't want to suspend the weight of an Xserve on just the two thumb screws on the front of the case. Besides, you need all that extra Xserve room for all the redundancy. The data center industry thrives on standards. I remember...
I hope they don't end production of the Mac Pro. If you want to run more than two external displays, you want multiple drives running as a RAID set, you want to add lots of internal memory, you want to add PCIe cards (especially ultra-fast RAID SSD cards), you want high-end 6 and 8-core procs, etc. then you need a Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is not for most people. It's for hard-core gamers, 3-D modelers, video producers, scientists, multimedia hounds, etc. My university...
What a retarded comment. Isn't this EXACTLY what a smart phone is all about? It's a PDA (Personal Digital ASSISTANT) and a phone. We don't all have human assistants on the other side of the phone, Rubin. Having the ability to interact with the device via voice is a killer app. There's no doubt in my mind that Siri is a game changer. I already used voice dialing extensively in iPhone 4, and Siri extensively builds on that whole experience. It's so much faster and more...
Microsoft: Fix Skype so we can reliably connect to conference call services! Almost every time I dial in to the several major services I use, I can't seem to connect because entering my conference call code on the Skype keypad generates DTMF tones that the conferencing systems don't recognize. 0 problems on cell, land line or Vonage but problems 90% of the time with Skype. My complaints in their forums and to their support go unanswered. I'm hopeful MS can add a...
Collecting and calculating wifi/tower location data and storing it to a file on the phone most likely consumes a tiny fraction of the processing capacity of the phone. Is the iPhone 3G still slow when sitting in one spot, with this service idle? Yes. This crowd-sourcing utility has little to do with the performance of iOS on this ancient device.Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the iPhone 3G is THREE YEARS OLD!Operating system upgrades always include new...
Time to get back on your medication. ;-)
Exactly! A while back I was at a restaurant where I admittedly peeked at a guy using his phone at the next table. I thought it was an iPhone at the time, but the grid on the screen seemed a little off. After seeing these pictures, it could very well have been this phone that I mistook for an iPhone! The comment above gets it exactly right. The look and feel of the physical design and the menu systems of smart phones was all over the map. Heck, I remember throwing away...