or Connect

Posts by msimpson

Minor point, but the following statements are misleading:   Google subsequently acquired Motorola Mobility, gaining ownership of several patents essential to H.264. It has used these patents to seek import injunctions and demand billions in licensing royalties from Microsoft and Apple as leverage against patent infringement claims targeting Android.   I don't believe that the Motorola H.264 patents are what they are trying to use to seek import injunctions and...
  Exactly.  If Qualcomm pays a royalty to Samsung/Google/Motorola for FRAND patents needed to make their communications  chips comply with telecom standards, then why should Apple also have to pay a royalty.  Qualcomm would cover the costs in what they charge Apple for the chips.   In regards to the "one bullet to kill" argument - I bet there are a lot of "bullets" in the package of FRAND patents that if not included would make it impossible to implement the industry...
  Exactly, what does the large section on taxes have anything to do with Apple paying a dividend?     Capital Gains taxes are not just "taxes on the rich".   Everyone pays the same rate on capital gains.  I am not rich, but I am saving and investing money for retirement and I do have to pay capital gains taxes on dividends too.   Don't forget that the money I earned and saved to invest for retirement was already taxed once as income at the higher rate for income, and then...
  **Fixed**   Exactly, compared to the ads we see daily from every other compan,y these Apple ads were not bad.  Only because Apple has had some great ads in the past, and a lot of pube fanbois and critics did these commercials get bad press.   99% of the people who watched them were not bothered by them.   I have watched very little of the Olympics, but of what I have seen, the most disturbing and annoying commercials are the political attack ads that are being run....
  Exactly...   How many people will buy "finger tongs"  to hold their chicken wings so their fingers don't get dirty?  Come on...      The site looks like someone scanned ads and photos from Christmas catalogs or magazines from Neiman-Marcus, Restoration Hardware. Architectural Digest, Town & Country, or similar outfits, and then posted them on a blog.   Stupid stuff for stupid folks.   The one item I find interesting is the greeting card that says "Not sent from my...
  Kay's Dynabook had a keyboard on it, but it was in a flat rectangular shape.  It was to be programmed in Smalltalk.     The tablets in 2001 were to be programmed in HALtalk.   "Close the Case statement, HAL.   HAL?  HAL, Close the Case statement.  HAL do you read me?"
Is Julian Assange the attorney for Samsung?
I think Microsoft is missing their target audience.   Trying to compete with Apple with fancy stores in malls or high-rent shopping districts is a waste of time and money.   They should focus on improving customer service by having locations with a drive-thru window.       And a bald clown head to give your orders to.
Papermaster had been at IBM before Apple - and was involved in a lawsuit with IBM over non-compete and trade secret issues that prevented him from starting to work at Apple for an extended period of time.   It is easy for the press to make these "executives" seem like they are solely responsible for a product.   "Keller was responsible for building Apple's custom System on a Chip designs"   But there is actually a team of people working on those...
Time for Apple to move...       The MTA can find a new customer.   Maybe Google or Microsoft can rent it to sell their phones.