or Connect

Posts by rcfa

Oh, like, say ECC RAM?In my opinion any computer without is a toy, well, sort of like any computer without a file system like ZFS that protects against bit rot.Over the decades been bitten by this more than once.Of course, if all you do is post selfies on FB and look up bus schedules on your computer, then who cares...
Using coin, I can put Coin in together with my iPhone in a single leather case. Don't forget: the world is big, and ApplePay doesn't work in most countries and isn't even supported by Fidelity's debit cards yet. The Coin app allows you to store a picture of the original card, so retrieving the number for manual entry is possible if used in combination with an iPhone. Only trouble I had so far: ATM machine spitting it out, likely because it's a bit thicker than a regular...
It is standard practice to give a company 60-90 days lead time before going public.If that weren't like this manufacturers had no pressure to fix things since things would just be swept under the rug with big risks with spooks and other criminals using a black market of kept secret exploits to violate.Apple had more than enough lead time, going public was totally justified.
The fact that spooks don't know what people think also means investigating with one hand tied behind the back. Law enforcement is supposed to INVESTIGATE, they are not supposed to just KNOW. Back in the day before telephones, Internet, etc. they also had to solve and investigate crime, no electronic surveillance, either. Law enforcement just got bad and lazy over the years: they just want to be above the law and access whatever they please to access; constitution be damned.
What AI doesn't seem to get: "friendly" in this context has nothing to with Jack's and Joe's device, it means "not hostile".Friendly devices more likely will my two iPads, my three iPhones, my two Macs.They will likely not include the phones and computers of my actual friends.Friendly devices could also be the ones that form a tight group e.g. since they belong to the same iTunes Family Sharing group, thus including wife's and kids' devices.Key thing here is to expand...
Nope, because the data is encrypted with a random key only known to the originating device.People can already airdrop (un)encrypted files.This invention is basically a reincarnation of uucp or fidoNet, except it's for iCloud storage/backup not regular file/email transmission, and it's got more focus on privacy/security i.e. crypto.
Let's face it: This isn't about what would happen in court, this is an attempt at bullying Apple to weaken their products by means of using public opinion as a pressure, well knowing that a) the public doesn't understand crypto and privacy and b) that Apple as a consumer driven company is very sensitive to how it's perceived. Thus the same old scare: abducted child, terrorists, and now also angry shareholders who don't want Apple to be a target of lawsuits. It's an attempt...
Depends what kind of critical mass......when the mass becomes big enough it'll implode into a black hole. That's how stupid needs to go, not by spewing radioactive fallout all over the place, which is what would happen in the explosion case
Swift is a very popular language; by becoming open source it can become a standard language, which is key for things like government and business contracts: nobody wants mission critical code to be based on a proprietary, single-source platform.The IBM-Apple partnership relies on acceptance in the business community.Swift becoming a standard could quickly do away with Java, C, C++ and bunch of other languages.Note: the language is not the same as the API, people will still...
If you were to cast a complex/bigger piece, it would cool down at a rate where crystals can form. Not good.If you do this layer by layer, each individual layer cools very quickly, but the cooling of the entire object is still spread out over time (since it consists of many layers), yet no crystals form.So there are two different contexts: cooling of entire object (slow since spread out over time by using layers) vs. cooling of individual layers (fast to prevent crystal...