or Connect

Posts by rcfa

Apple's photo strategy is horrendous. Photos.app is a massively improved iPhoto.app. The strategy is like improving iMovie and getting rid of FinalCut, or improving GarageBand and dropping Logic, etc. The entire platform becomes invalidated if there is nothing to grow into. If I start projects with GarageBand I can expand into Logic. When I had an iPhoto library, I could migrate it to Aperture. If I have a Photos library, I'm stuck in a dead end of entry-level photo...
No real savings, extra bulk, tied to a carrier, and still no GPS. Bargain... ...not.
Adobe and Macromedia code is so horrible that even inside Microsoft they use it as a standard to define bad code. Adobe should be the place where Apple engineers fired for sub-par performance try to find refuge, not the place from which Apple hires "talent". Worse is that Apple drives customers into the arms of Adobe by abandoning Aperture. The thought of using Photos or Lightroom and giving up Aperture makes my stomach curl for different reasons. I hope Apple reconsiders...
I wouldn't call ebay's fee structure ethical: when the facilitator make more than the person providing the goods, when fees are double and triple dipping on the same transaction, then all I see is a lack of competition, not ethics...
People don't get it: NOBODY ports anything to a CPU except the OS and compiler engineers. The OS (Darwin) and the compilers for ARM are already finished otherwise there were no iOS software. Apple's MACH/BSD kernel in Darwin always is and always has remained multi-architecture. It doesn't matter if it's PPC, x86, x86-64, ARM-32 or ARM-64. In essence: OS X for ARM is but a recompilation for Apple, plus a few device drivers, if they run it on hardware using...
Who cares if a child will die? This bringing up children is the lowest of the low emotional blackmailing techniques. THOUSANDS of children die each day of hunger, are run over by drunk drivers, shot by guns, etc. We neither force a fairer system of economics, nor do we outlaw cars, alcohol, or guns. So: DOJ shut the **** up, you have any more the right to dig around in my brain extension device than you're allowed to feed me "truth serum" during interrogation. If you want...
This is why root privileges for device owners are key: the ability to monitor a device, install third party anti-malware software (if need be), etc. Right now, an iOS device is only as secure as US laws and Apple engineering allow. It should be as secure as security researchers with full access to their own devices can ascertain and make it independently of Apple and the legal mandates it's subjected to as a U.S. corporation. Competition is good, particularly when it...
People who buy want lossless audio, and the right to transfer ownership. People who want convenience want to budget, and are no audiophiles. iTunes satisfies neither, so the convenience freaks move to streaming, and the rest continues to buy and rip media. Time for Apple to offer lossless audio, or do what Amazon does in Europe: you buy a CD and MP3 versions are automatically included for computer and mobile use, saving people the need to rip the discs.
Nothing new, have the same issue, although less severe, on iPhone 5s and iPad Air (64GB/128GB) with tons of apps installed. Usually a forced reboot, and then letting the loop go on for hours or days will eventually fix it. My guess is that some CPU watchdog timer kicks in, or some resource is exhausted as iOS processes the app icon layout, as this matter is particularly likely to be triggered after installing new apps or updating existing ones. It may seem silly to have...
Not quite: in many/most jurisdictions something sent addressed to you that you didn't order is yours to keep. This is because it used to be a commercial scam to send people stuff and them bill them for not sending things back; so the law was changed to place the burden of responsibility on the sender to stop this fraudulent business practice.