or Connect

Posts by rcfa

Might have been meaningful to put a 64-bit ARM in there without 32-bit backwards compatible instruction set, since as I remember from the A7 introduction, it was said the 64-bit instruction set was designed to use less power, and that 64-bit apps use less power. On the watch backwards compatible 32-bit instructions wouldn't be required, so all that could be left off the chip. It's a stretch to assume a specific CPU core just because of the presence of a certain GPU.
FinalCut can of course survive without him, so could Aperture. But Aperture is dead now, and he is gone... But given how small a part of Apple's business is the Mac, and how small a sliver thereof is the Pro segment, his departure could signal changes he wasn't willing to be part of. I have the feeling there are too many MBAs at Apple now, not enough engineers; it's all bucks now, no longer about any mission. A platform needs a way for people to grow, and the space for...
Photoshop was never that expensive, and Lightroom even less. The price you have is for an entire suite of Adobe products, something that now costs you $50/month or $600/year, so after less that 2.5years you're in the black owning the software. Major updates (every 18-24 months) were in the $600 range for a full suite, and generally it was wise to do such upgrades only every second round. So maintaining owned software was $600/36 months for a full product suite, i.e. a...
Freedom is to save and buy, partial freedom is to take a loan and pay it off.Slavery is being blackmailed and being put in a hostage situation such as to extract eternal recurring payments regardless of service quality or utility gained.Adobe and all the other "in the cloud subscription" services are slavery, holding your work and data hostage, with your monthly budget at the whim of the provider, your data accessible without your consent, etc.If people aren't realizing...
Change is neither good, nor bad.Improvements are good, change for the sake of change, bugs, and deterioration are all bad.The problem is, when change and the pace of it are driven by marketing, not engineering.Example: MobileMe to iCloud transition when there was no way to sync key chains for two years, and even now, only a single keychain can be synced.Example: Photos isn't ready for prime time, cannot replace either iPhoto or Aperture properly, while flipping off the...
I hope not.For someone who is visually oriented the removal of cover flow from iTunes was already a disaster.I'm the kind of person who will end up buying an album multiple times if they change the cover picture only to realize later I already have it when listening to the songs: I can remember visuals and sound, but not names; and I'm not the only one.I want cover flow back!
Who in their right mind would trust Apple for ANY PRO APP after Apple just royally screwed PRO PHOTOGRAPHERS by PULLING APERTURE and replacing it with some sophomoric imposter called "Photos"??? As much as I like FinalCut, Logic, and (ex)Aperture: how at this point can you trust Apple for anything but mass market consumer toy apps? They castrated OS X server, they nixed Aperture, they offered no transition for FinalCut Pro projects to FinalCut X projects, they disappeared...
Tim Cook should realize Apple isn't our daddy. So tits are bad, but violence OK? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Nrp7cj_tM
Photos is like Java for C++ programmers (iPhoto users); unfortunately it's also like Java for Objective-C or Swift programmers (Aperture users). Apple is currently going the way of the peacock: following an initially good trend of nice feathers (simplification) ad absurdum where it becomes an evolutionary liability by being too long to escape predators (giving its user base no path for growth. Adobe apps are no replacement for Aperture for several reasons: - they have a...
When will people get that resolution is a surface metric. Twice the resolution has twice as many pixels, by the very definition of what resolution means. Double the dpi means quadruple the resolution and quadruple the resolution. Learn math before posing as tech journalists... A cinema display refresh is overdue, 8k along with a refresh of the MacPro would sound more like it...