or Connect

Posts by rcfa

The risk isn't big at all: it is forsaking doing business in a country run by a bad regime. It's common practice which is why Apple does no business in North Korea, Syria, Iran, Cuba...It's just that the US has grown so dependent on China and cheap imports that the US can't afford to take stance against the regime anymore. Difficult to oppose a regime that holds most of the US national debt and which could collapse the US economy with the equivalent of an economic nuke by...
 No, not like that. The person in the US would need to create a iTunes store account for the person in China and give that person the store credentials (AppleID, password) for the app bundle to be installable.  I don't equate internet censorship with death camps, but I equate one dictatorial regime with another. Nazi Germany was big on censorship, and China tortures, imprisons and kills political adversaries, engages in a systematic Han-ification process in Tibet,...
 It is a commercial decision to do business in countries with dubious human rights records. e.g. boycotting South Africa to end Apartheid was not a legal decision (at least at the beginning), but one to decide what's the higher value: some extra profit, or a cleaner conscience. Many companies at the time, some under pressure from customers, decided to forego the profits and withdraw from that country. But that was a different time, when a large proportion of the American...
I may point out that anything that happened in Nazi-Germany was according to the law.So why are companies to this day paying retribution for having followed the law?Because nobody is allowed to hide behind the law and chain of command if the laws run counter to basic HUMAN RIGHTS.There are more important values than corporate profits in this world.
Unfortunately that's not possible, that's exactly the one of the main reasons why people have to jail-break iPhones to allow the installation of non-AppStore apps.If it were possible what you write only morons were bitching about various forms of Apple censorship which covers anything from Kamasutra apps (incl. kicking out one of the first and best ones while admitting a bunch of blatant imitations of the original one) to silly toy apps to political speech.If the AppStore...
Very easy answer: do what Amazon does: allow any user to shop in any of Amazon's national stores with a single user ID.That way they can abide by the law and remove it from the Chinese AppStore, but people in China simply switch store and buy the app e.g. in the US store.The necessity to have a different AppleID for each store is brain-dead in a mobile, globalized economy anyway:I travel a lot and anything like public transport information apps, local mobile carrier's...
 No, it's not the only way. e.g. Apple could have a secret agreement with the NSA or some law enforcement agency to install a spyware software on iOS devices that could be turned on at will. With root access, the device is open to scrutiny, without root access all you have is blind trust in a company that according to the infamous PATRIOT act could be coerced into cooperation and force to remain silent about such a cooperation. A non-root access device is security through...
 Horrendous reasoning. Look, just because someone makes a lot of money using a Chevy Astrovan doesn't mean it's a good van. A Freighliner Sprinter (i.e. a Mercedes Sprinter), beats its it in just about every aspect (except price). The fact that Photoshop works doesn't mean it's great software, just like Windows "working" doesn't mean it's great software.It does the job and it didn't have enough competition and thus it became the entrenched standard that is difficult to...
 Security conscious people format their drive in case-sensitive mode: there were (and likely still are) a bunch of exploits that use case-insensitive file systems to the detriment of users. The thing is, OS X is UNIX, and just about all underlying FreeBSD, Linux, etc. tools that OS X is based on, assume a case-sensitive file system. Since they are written properly, most work just fine even on a case-insensitive file system, but there are boundary cases that have been...
 According to Apple it didn't. Nothing is absolutely secure, and nowhere do I state that I like Apple's data hoarding.As a matter of fact, besides the forced single-source software store, one of the main reason why I dislike the fact that Apple locks legitimate users out of their own devices, is that it's impossible to discern if an iOS device is hacked or is running spyware, unless the user has root access, which currently is only possible by jail-breaking.I like iOS...