or Connect

Posts by rcfa

Plastic is just a material, it's a matter of how it's used. If a metal phone came along with the feel of an altoids box, it would also feel "cheap" and not premium, metal notwithstanding. The issue with plastics for the most part is scratch resistance, which coatings like used on polycarbonate eye glass lenses can improve considerably, and recyclability with polycarbonate unlike many other plastics offers. Besides that, plastic offer weight savings, color, radio...
One size doesn't fit all. The current iPhone sizes are extremely ergonomical, except: a) you're an older person who wants to use the phone without reading glasses b) you're Asian and you deal with rather complex Han/Kanji characters or some other non-Roman/Kyrillic/Greek alphabet that's considerably more complex in strokes and shapes, because then at current screen sizes, soon everything starts to look like more or less dense squares. Personally, I'd not want a bigger...
 You're telling me, there's a way to BUY Parallels Access for a ONE TIME fee, rather than by subscribing to it on a monthly basis?Where? How? I have no problem with dishing out $49, or for that $99 *ONCE* if the product works well, but I have a HUGE problem if yet another company tries to sucker me into the subscription scheme scam; even more so after what keeps being revealed about how the NSA works together with corporations to weaken security and put backdoors in...
 In a culture that measures a company's success quarter by quarter rather than by survivability, and that brought you such "achievements" like the drive-through restaurant and fast food, there's ALWAYS a rush...
 You don't need an event, I don't need an event, but APPLE needs an event, because not everyone's a geek who follows every scrap of Apple news on the web. Apple is in the business of making profit, which means selling products, and Apple will do whatever serves the message to create brand identity, product awareness, and maximized sales, and if that means you'll have to wait another three weeks for a computer, Apple couldn't care less.
 Not so easy to design a product like that and comply with the long wish list from the NSA...
 You can set display sleep, CPU sleep and screen saver times independently. So just set the CPU to never sleep, the display to sleep after a short time, and you can let the screen fall asleep quickly while the computer stays up.Lid sleep and manual sleep override the auto-sleep times, so you can still create a corner that puts the screen to sleep, prevent screen from sleeping, start the screen saver, and when you want the machine to sleep, just hit the power button, or use...
Feel polished and be ready are two different things. I know of serious issues with certain types of drivers, and there's at least one truly obnoxious workflow related bug in Mail.app.iBooks is clearly just a work in progress at this stage with horrible media management etc.So they have enough work for a while if they don't want to have to rush point release updates after the release.Chances are, the release will be timed to coincide with some major Mac hardware releases,...
 I virtually guarantee that you're wrong. Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to drown its own marketing message with competing announcements. I suspect that either the MacPro and 10.9 will be mostly silently released because they have long been announced, or there will be a separate event, particularly if a 4k CinemaDisplay would be part of the game. Similarly a new AppleTV, if it's not just a silently slipped in minor update, would likely have its own event, unless it's very...