or Connect

Posts by rcfa

The cloud is a stupid fad perpetrated on us courtesy of ISPs refusal to transition rapidly to IPv6 and the NAT we have to use as consequence. There's no reason a device like AppleTV or any sort of HomeKit hub server with attached storage cannot provide all the "cloud" services on people's own hardware, without NSA snooping etc. The cloud is useful for customer site encrypted remote backup, and mobile device rendezvous points (like BTMM). I'm not going to store terabytes of...
I think the slippery part is a function of the no-scratches part.Matte finishes wear much worse, get partially shiny from abrasions and finger grease, etc.If it's slippery, use a rubber bumper.Plastic isn't the issue, nothing wrong with plastic, as long as it's a recyclable type.
Haha, maybe they are switching to Photos.app... ...just as useless for Aperture users.
Oh gosh: yes, we'll decide by weight which model to buy... NOT! What a silly article! Aluminum is easy to damage, witness iPhone 5/5s vs. 4/4s People will buy the sturdiest they can afford without flinching given their personal dusposable income, given they have sufficient interest to get one in the first place. As much as I might like some heft, I'm not going to drop $17k on a disposable gadget. Maybe $1k for steel might be debatable if Apple were to make any statements...
Easy: a shower adds directional pressure from the water jets. Further soap etc. decreases the water's surface tension, allowing water to more easily penetrate seals, and cleaning product residues might chemically degrade seals over time.A splash of rain water or some some splashes from washing the hands are a different type of exposure.
Possibly, but certainly less so than Bush, Reagan, Nixon, or even Clinton.The NSA spying programs were once so bad Congess defunded them: Echelon, TIA (Total Information Awareness), Topsail, TIA (Terrorist Information Awareness), etc.Whatever program was nixed got resurrected under one or more different names, and this has been going on for decades by now.To blame Obama or even democrats for this is just froth-at-the-moth Fox-News-Watching-Teapublican mindset, but utterly...
If the NSA hacks OS X' software update mechanism, any number of developers may use the wrong/hacked XCode, maybe even inside Apple, and all potentially without knowing.Then, "the agency" is known to use companies as fronts for all sorts of activities, and they have plenty of funds: so they can fund/buy/bribe/coerce/blackmail any number of companies or individual developers of popular apps.So provides Apple's iOS team isn't compromised, do not install any third party app if...
I don't get the pricing: yes, luxury watches go for 5-figures, but these are heirloom pieces, mechanical, as up-to-date in 100 years as now. AppleWatch? Next model in a year, a new model a year after that, etc. and no more software updates after 3-4 years. So who in their right mind other than some Sheik in Saudi Arabia who uses 100 Dollar bills to kindle a fire in their Skilodge built inside an artificial, climate controlled mountain in the midst of the desert would...
Just what we need: more morons thundering down the slopes, music blaring, not hearing things around them, be it "attention" calls or screams for help. Skiing/boarding with headphones should be just as illegal as driving with headphones. If skiing/boarding isn't entertaining and fun enough without music, you should stay off the damn mountain; at least for the rest of us we'd get back a little nature and would feel a little less like on an ant hill.
Apple's photo strategy is horrendous. Photos.app is a massively improved iPhoto.app. The strategy is like improving iMovie and getting rid of FinalCut, or improving GarageBand and dropping Logic, etc. The entire platform becomes invalidated if there is nothing to grow into. If I start projects with GarageBand I can expand into Logic. When I had an iPhoto library, I could migrate it to Aperture. If I have a Photos library, I'm stuck in a dead end of entry-level photo...