or Connect

Posts by rcfa

And you still haven't cited an example. It seem's you're chicken about that, because if you would bring an example, one could have a real discussion as to why that does or doesn't qualify for fundamental innovation; looks like you're afraid to have that discussion. Point being, if there had been such a fundamental innovation, it would be just as obvious as saying: "Desktop publishing", GUI, etc. which did shake things up and changed entire industries.
  Would you stop misquoting me? I cited Hackintoshs as an example why Apple hardware is NOT innovative in a fundamental way, because if it were, the OS wouldn't be able to run on a run-off-the-mill PC.   And you have yet to cite one example in which Apple *hardware* was fundamentally innovative, aside from the things that I mentioned that I consider refinements of industry standard hardware. Apple has innovated tons of things, but it was always on the software side. GUIs:...
  No, no need to. Apple had good industrial design, and there's some innovation there, e.g. moving the keyboards on laptops to the back, such as to create a wrist rest, and things like that. That continues, as the iteration to newer versions of laptops and iMacs shows. But in terms of computing, it's not like Apple ever had this "oh my god!" hardware if you disregard the nice, clean case, and the better workmanship. Apple did, and I mentioned that, things like FireWire...
  And there never was. Aside from early adoption of USB, Apple's FW, and now USB2, Thunderbolt, etc. Apple's hardware innovations were mostly about what to leave out, not about what to have that's different than the competition. There was a time in distant past, when there was such a thing as a CPU war, but that was lost a long time ago when it was clear that the three partners in the PPC CPU development had fundamentally different design goals.   For all intents and...
  What irritates me are "designers" who use an image editor for design work, instead of an illustration package. When I hear designers using Photoshop as their main tool, I write them off. Designers should use Illustrator, Quark, InDesign, and then maybe place the one or other image resource that may have been edited in Photoshop in the design. For a designer, Photoshop should be an auxiliary tool.   Someone who considers an inherently badly scalable bitmap based result...
Apple is in the process of a stock buy back program; the lower the price, the better for long term shareholders.Short-term speculators may get hurt or make a fortune, depending on their bets.
  If you mean with "the 90% of the crap it really has no business doing" builting a world-wide American military empire, you're right.   If you think the government should stop making sure that there's a reasonably level playing field, enforce laws, protect the environment, prevent slavery by other names, etc. then you're wrong.   The problem is, most people agree that the government should stop doing 90% of things, they just don't agree which 90%; and the people most...
The issue is that the US tax code is both ridiculously expansive trying to extend US jurisdiction beyond US borders AND full of loopholes made for politically well connected interests both corporate and private. And that's an insane combination. To single out Apple in that context is nothing but a publicity stunt.
Yup, Mac Pro would also have been my guess: it's a product line with low volume thus suitable for ramping up production without instantly having to produce millions of units.It's also a high end product, often BTO so there are cost savings not having to air ship them, and with a high price item slightly higher production costs won't have as much an impact on the overall profit margin as expressed in percent, which is what makes investors nervous if they see that number drop.
  For one, there's a difference between paying something in installments (e.g. mortgage) and perpetual payments (e.g. rent). One can slap $2000 on a credit card, and after X months one is done, and owns the stuff free and clear. For two, one can buy an older license on the secondary market, and work with that until a project pays for an upgrade. The timing and the size of the payment is under the control of the user. There is no commitment at any point, except whatever...