or Connect

Posts by rcfa

I'd want to see legislation that would exactly prevent that sort of thing. The issue with GG is not that it looks geeky, that's just a matter of morphing fashion ideals, but what it means. GG that's even more stealth would be worse than what GG already is. So any sort of "integrated into regular glasses" technology should be mandated to have neon-green frames or something like that, which warns people from half a mile away that some wanna-be-spook with his "I record my...
And they are just as valid then as now. If you need to pull out a calculator to calculate a lunar orbit, then that's OK. But if you have to pull out a calculator to figure out how much a 20% tip is, then you have a serious issue.The mind works only as well as it's exercised. Just like a workout is "painful", if you want a healthy body, that's what it takes. And if you want a healthy mind, able to think, then the pain of learning and exercising one's mental abilities is...
Oh, so now it's only recording voice, not video. Cool, everything is fine now... NOT!The key difference between that and e.g. the iPhones recording ability: you can turn on recording with the blink of an eye, without anyone knowing. With the phone, you either have to be recording all the time, or have the phone in some sort of ready-state to turn it on without pulling it out, launching an app, etc.There's a reason why even things like smart phones are prohibited in many...
Something like Google glass may be very useful e.g. for doing inventory in a warehouse, packing mail order shipments, accessing medical records during medical procedures, capturing instructional or documentary video close up in confined spaces, etc. However I'd smack it off everyone's head who'd dare to cross my property line wearing one... The Borg has no place in public, regardless how many uneducated but knowledgable techno geeks believe that doing everything that can...
Depends what you men with "from a technical point of view". Security has a model, and then it has an implementation of the model.The WindowsNT kernel's security model was always rather secure. However, there are constant issues with bugs in the implementation, and there were many issues with the default settings that were applied to that model to make e.g. the porting of Win95 software to WinXP easier...Given the nearly endless stream of Windows security patches,...
Because a company doesn't make money based on its stock price, but based on its profits.Long term investors could care less about the price of Apple stock, they care about sustainable profits and sustainable dividend payments as well as no debt, plenty of reserves.Speculators on the other hand, don't care about how healthy a company is, they just care about the stock price moving such as to generate a trading profit. As such the volatility of the stockprice, which is a...
Comments like these show why it's a waste of time to engage in discussions here. Regret it each time when I get suckered in.Linux is a clone, read up on its history, or the definition of "clone" as it's used in the context of software.iOS is certainly not a Linux clone, because it's Darwin, which is the same as NeXTSTEP. Actually the Darwin version numbers correspond exactly to the version of NeXTSTEP the product would have, did Apple not change the name to Mac OS X/OS...
Precisely: the whole iOS vs. Android thing is a stupid narrative fueled by fan boys of either camp and stock market analysts who love when the stock moves depending on the "news" so they can make speculative trading profits.Android may have stolen ideas from iOS, but that's life. No viable profitable market will ever be owned solely by the inventor. Otherwise we'd only have Mercedes cars, Zuse computers, intel CPUs, etc.So it's a fact of life, and in no way alarming that...
OpenStep was two things with one name:a) a specification just like Posix, that was even submitted to some open standards committee. That's what GNUStep, OpenStep for Solaris, etc. was based on. Each of these OpenStep implementations was independent and just implemented the same API. OpenStep on SUN had about as little to do with OpenStep as shipped by NeXT as Linux and UNIX, which share POSIX APIs, but not the code that implements it. SUN's implementation of OpenStep was...
What are you on? I want some of it since it obviously transports you into an alternate universe...