or Connect

Posts by rcfa

QNX predates Blackberry, it's an extremely capable real-time operating system that's POSIX compliant. It's in it's basics just as good and in many ways superior to the MACH/BSD foundation of OS X/iOS.Blackberry getting that OS as a base is a greate move, albeit way (too?) late, and the only thing I hate about that move is that BB might take that OS down the drain along with them. QNX is highly efficient, low overhead and a true real-time OS, something Apple can't claim for...
I don't think it's primarily about doing more than it is about doing things better.Many car infotainment systems are clumsy and distracting in their operation, voice commands are unreliable and restricted in scope, menu systems are cluttered, etc.Apple can contribute constantly updates maps, integration with contacts and calendar for travel planning (e.g. suggest sending an SMS when road conditions suggest arriving late, etc.), an uncluttered UI, Siri speech recognition,...
I routinely drive well above 200kmh on the Autobahn, of course, unlike in the USA, in Europe you actually have to know how to drive before getting a license, which is why Americans are scared seeing Europeans drive because they wrongly assume we drive like that while having the average American's driving skills.And of course I don't take phone calls, clip my toe nails or operate cup holders while driving, because I consider a car to be more like a loaded gun than like a...
That's why European cars traditionally had no cup holders: try finishing a cup of coffee or a can of soda without staring at the headliner instead of on the street. Try doing that going 150mph on the German highway and you might as well preorder your coffin at Amazon before starting your trip... Driving is a full-time job, sitting in a car is not sitting in the living room; Americans don't get that concept by and large. If you want to drink, change your route, talk on...
iOS in car is obviously a licensing program; short of Apple making their own cars it's obviously NOT Apple who's going to introduce the new product, you're not seeing Bosch introducing new cars either, no matter how many of them have a Bosch engine management computer on board. As for the "long" year wait: does any of the morons who write this have ANY clue about product development cycles in the Auto industry? I think not, otherwise they wouldn't write such nonsense. To...
Allergic reaction is BS, peanut butter is also not recalled from the market because some people are allergic. More likely are the plastic contains real toxins, or they have a patent issue or some other reason to get the product of the market, the potential causes are endless, but I don't buy the allergy excuse.
Apple should finally publish the iMessage/FaceTime specs as they originally promised; the reality is there are Android phones, and when faced with the choice of cross-platform protocols or single platform protocol, cross-platform wins due to (quite literally) network effects. So without open specs that allow third parties to make iMessage/FaceTime compatible apps on other phones, Apple undermines the utility and penetration of their own products. I keep using Skype and to...
 I do something similar. Of course, sophisticared spammers could remove the +keyword part from the user+keyword@domain.tld format address, but since few people do this, it works rather well.Of course, one could start using encrypted front-parts for e-mail addresses, so only the mail server could then transform upon receipt something like 234ae9534da2342cf1234fa0@domain.tld back into user+keyword@domain.tldThe beauty of the user+keyword@domain.tld system is, that it also...
Doesn't really help, because real spammers, the ones you want to defend against, they don't use fixed resource URLs but resource query URLs that have an identifier of the precise message (and thus email address) that the query comes from.So instead of something likehttp://www.somehost.tld/images/someImage.jpgyou have something likehttp://www.somehost.tld/resourcequery.cgi?messageid=1234567890abcdef&resource=someImage&resourcetype=jpgor some significantly more convoluted...
Should be considered a matter of national security given that we all know how important propaganda (corporate media news) and pacification (sports and entertainment) are to keep the public peacefully and quietly at bay.If there's no ample supply of TVs, the country could blow up in a civil war...To prevent the ability of the enemy to subvert the country like this, there's but one solution: free, made-with-pride-in-the-USA TVs for all!