or Connect

Posts by rcfa

None of which has anything to do with silver power cables, which are utterly pointless, because any decent, and even more so any high-end equipment has an internal power supply that filters, regulates, stabilizes and transforms the power from AC to DC at levels useful for the electronics inside.  For one, most of that expensive equipment you quote has nothing to do with the sampling frequencies we were discussing, because like you what you don't seem to know, speakers and...
 Glad you bring that up....16-bit vs. 24-bit: 16-bit is perfectly adequate as a delivery system, provided *everything* was done perfectly during production and mastering, AND the source material was higher resolution and word-length reduced and dithered as the absolutely last step.Unfortunately, that's a lot of iffs which in reality almost never are true, sticking with 24-bit removes a variety of potential error sources in the digital production work flow, so in any...
 Make people pay for any textbook that's not returned in pristine condition. Guess how quickly that situation will improve, it's the government, they can put a lien on parents' property and wages if need be.  Excited? Is this Disneyworld? Whatever happened to duty? Back in the day if students didn't pay attention they got a beating from the teacher, and they shut up about it, because if the dad heard about it, he was sure to give them a second beating for giving the family...
 It's not about hardware, it's about content. It's much easier for a teacher to whip up a demo app with Xcode than trying to deal with the development tools available for any other platform.Similarly, there are tons of demo apps, simulation apps, textbooks, etc. for the iPad, and not very much for any other platform that's kids friendly.So just as technology and money per se aren't the solution, neither is cost cutting when just looking at purchase price rather than doing...
 I wasn't really referring to them stalking the kids, because they can't really call in sick without the parents consent (at least if parents do their job). Much more I'm referring to parents who call in their kids sick because they want to make a long weekend trip with the family, or do other things that wouldn't qualify for "time off from school". Now the sick kid from SF can be located up in Lake Tahoe where the family goes for an extended skiing weekend ;) Only...
The general issue is that there's the false belief education gets better when one just throws enough money and thechnology at it, when back in the times of ink wells, chalk and blackboards people got an education most just can dream about today. I'm sure e.g. spelling correction on the iPads does wonders to kids ability to master their language... Also yet to be seen how healthy it is to stare for hours on actively lit screens both in classroom and out, as compared with...
No, I don't need to rely on Wikipedia, mathematics speak for themselves. Wikipedia however is pretty good at bundling the references e.g. to the relevant AES papers. As I said, there's a mathematical proof that for any N-bits used PCM captures more information about the audio signal than DSD does. More information means better sound. Period. Information theory says so. DSD is easier to implement, so if you're a consumer electronics company, and you're trying to sell a $20...
 DSD is direct-stream-digital. It's a crappy format, equivalent to how they made music with the 1-bit buzzer of the original IBM PC, just with a much higher sampling rate and some noise shaping filters, which for all intents and purposes needs to be converted back and forth to PCM at various stages in the production and playback process when any digital processing is needed. It's neither as space efficient nor higher-fidelity when compared with similar bit rate PCM...
Because in an OS based on true OOP-APIs the vast majority of apps shouldn't be affected by the OS upgrade and simply inherit a variety of new behaviors.Of course that won't apply to x-platform junk like what Adobe pushes on people, but they will take until 2020 to adopt 10.9 APIs anyway given their track record of adopting Apple's APIs....
It doesn't matter how "wow" the publication is. The point of "print" is that we can still read Egyption papyrus scrolls, an original Gutenberg bible, etc. Can we still read the "wowest" digital publication in three years? Can we read it on a non-iPad? Can we read a whateverPad publication on the iPad99 in 95 years from now? In this short-lived time, people forget that culture is something that's created to endure from one generation to another. If I even tried to read...