or Connect

Posts by rcfa

Straight from Apple's Dictionary app:  Give it a few more years, and people will ask "What's a book?" 
 It might be serious news gathering if they had used the screen real estate to follow a variety of news wires, etc. and didn't just use a huge screen to "impressively" display four tweets, which would have requireda) a better use of the resolution they currently have andb) would benefit from a higher resolution on a surface that big. The low resolution and the use thereof shows that it's a stage prop and show piece for the easily impressed and technically unsophisticated...
 So, if I understand you correctly, if you own a magazine, instead of thumbing through it, you cut it at the spine and lay out all the pages on a big floor and walk around to see what page you want to read? It's MUCH faster to keep your eyes pinned to a spot, and move a scroller to have the various images fly by, than having to scan rows and columns of pictures, and then scroll when you reached the end of what can be shown on one screen, and then try to reorient your...
In Europe, with much more stringent mandates on throughput and availability, I can get a no-contract, pay-as-you-go plan with unlimited data, 1000m voice and 1000 SMS for something like $15/month. US prices are a rip-off due to the revolving door between industry, legislature and regulatory bodies.
The problem with Apple is what I call the peacock syndrome: healthy, shiny feathers signify a healthy male with good genes, and as a result evolutionary pressure was on for such features; with peacocks they spiraled out of control: the feathers are so long and so pretty and shiny that they attract predators and turn the male into a clumsy, "useless" bird.When it comes to Apple, the keyword isn't "shiny & pretty" but "simple": reducing complexity is a good thing *IF AND...
 That's a naive point of view. A single cookie, from a single website isn't a danger per se, because it's restricted to that web site.However, we now have tons of "pagelets", i.e. HMTL code snippets loaded from other places, e.g, FB like buttons, etc. which allow a central site to collect a massive crosssection of your browsing habits, even if you're not directly accessing their...
 I fully understand your point. My point however is, that the failure of the judge and/or US Legal system, is that it defines harm simply as monetary loss or loss of property.IF the judge makes that assumption, THEN of course it's hard to show/prove harm, after all, likely you're not poorer (monetarily) because of that, unless of course targeted ads made you foolishly spend money on things you don't need that you otherwise would have been wise enough not to spend. HOWEVER...
 The point of using cookies is to track user's behavior. In other words, Google collects my private web usage habits and preferences, my likes and dislikes being my personal secrets and information, which by means of my preferences I clearly stated that I have no intention sharing with a third party.Their algorithms thus find a way to steal the information from me, which is the information about my likes, dislikes and browsing habits.Them having information I don't want...
 The problem with your reasoning is simple: in civilized countries, privacy is considered a good in itself, and personal information and identity are considered property. Therefore someone who has possession of private information without consent stole something from you.  Therefore the loss of privacy automatically, without further proof, constitutes harm. Privacy should be treated like a civil right. I mean, what "harm" is done to some person when they denied the right...
 If the reasoning for the decision is faulty, the decision is faulty, even if different and potentially correct reasoning could have led to the same conclusion which then would potentially be a correct conclusion. In particular anglo-saxon common law is MASSIVELY dependent on case law and legal precedent. In other words a judgement like that, which essentially seems to establish that no harm is done, unless it results in loss of money or property, sets precedents for...