or Connect

Posts by WelshDog

That is a lot of significant stuff happening in a compact time frame.  Future, uh yeah future. Wow Apple.
I think it's simply that Samsung and others have a much lower threshold for quality of design.  "Good enough" is definitely in their vocabulary.  Apple on the other hand has two anal British designers who specialize in splitting extremely fine hairs.  I'm betting that Apple really doesn't design by committee in any real way, where Samsung designers are probably only trying to please a committee with their designs.  Apple releases products when they are satisfied they have...
What gets me about the watch is the exquisite attention to mechanical detail - something that is apparently under appreciated by many of the critics.  The forms, the machining, the precision and the innovation all spot on.  I particularly liked the easily resized stainless band.  The guy pulled out the segments by just pushing a tab with his fingernail.  Genius.   I never had any concern about software, since this is Apple we knew they would get that right.  
For me the allure of a larger screen is simply that it is easier to read. The millions of older people who use reading glasses, but don't wear glasses for anything else are inconvenienced by small screen sizes. Not always, but in many instances, we have to put on our reading glasses to read fine detail on the phone screen - including overly tiny text. My hope is that these larger screens will help with this issue. I also feel that this has been a driver of consumers...
Here is a nice documentary/interview with Newson from BBC.  It's in multiple parts, the link is to the first - http://youtu.be/uoS71sBKESI Lots of good detail on his designs and a look at how he works.   One thing that concerns me a little, is his ability or lack thereof to function in a highly structured, corporate environment.  I don't think he can.  So maybe its better that he remains based in UK.  Something went wrong in his relationship with Ikepod, with both...
Well, he has designed a spaceship: And a car: And a boat: And a jet-pack: And something I personally own, a dish drainer:  
Well of course they expect Apple to set the standard. Particularly since they have been wholly unable to do it on their own.
When I was briefly an iOS AHA I remember there was a special type of alert that would go out to all support people for a "capture" process.  If a customer called with a specific problem that fit the capture specs we would send them to the capture team who would, I assume, swap a new phone for the suspect one so engineers could analyze the issue.  This was for all products including older ones, not just new stuff.
That's for sure.  Plus if more companies did this there would be less waste in the manufacturing stream.  Fewer devices in land fills, greater efficienies etc.
I believe this structure to the Compassionate Enema Pavilion, there to serve the needs of Fandroids and Samsung-biased press members who will become spontaneously "blocked" upon seeing what Apple introduces.