or Connect

Posts by WelshDog

The company I work for has no roadmaps. We buy what we need when we need it if the money is there.
I disagree. I work for a post production/editorial/motion design company and if someone came to us with a really big job and we needed more hardware fast we might find this supply constraint a big problem. We have to run pretty lean (particularly these days) and cannot afford to have excess and idle hardware lying around. We have found ourselves in this very situation a a couple of times in the past.Sure we could probably find something that would get the job done,...
Couldn't this just mean that he Mini has finally been dropped?
Yes pros used broadcast grade Beta decks for many many years and then moved to the digital form. It's called Digital Betacam. And yes it is still in use although I believe Sony has stopped making the machines. Now there is HDCAM and it is based on Beta as well. HDCAM decks can play DigitBeta and there are some other models that can record it, but they don't have Digibeta as their primary design function. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCAM
I think you are right. By having a single internal bus and say 3 ports on the outside they have eliminated a whole bunch of stuff taking up space and using power inside. My concern are with the cables and their incompatibility with everything else already existing. This means for Light Peak to succeed there will need to be cheap converters from Light Peak to Ethernet, Firewire, USB, etc., etc., etc. We don't want to see a repeat of the ADC adapter fiasco again (some...
What you meant to say is "Microsoft made a whole lot of stew without much meat".
I agree with your point to some degree. Yes Apple are a going concern and are obligated by their corporate charter to enhance shareholder value (that means make as much money as possible). However, Apple seems to have a different ratio when it comes to balancing product quality against profit motive. AT&T is tilted way to the profit side and I don't think they innovate as much as they could. Apple seems to internally value product quality as facet of their corporate...
Nah, they are right where they want to be. They are waiting for customers to scream before they spend any money on upgrades. There was some talk of lawsuits over the lack of MMS, maybe that got them moving. The international carriers actually care about providing a quality experience to customers. Plus they probably have strong regulations governing their activities. Heaven forbid we Americans ever regulate a company to require them to provide a quality product....
Look AT&T is really SBC. And SBC was/is a hard nosed, cutthroat company more like Wal Mart than Apple. AT&T/SBC is also known for it's relentless legislative campaigns to get laws passed that specifically target their bottom line. Not just lobbying, but legislating from the board room. IMO they don't do anything the "right" way, they do it the cheap way. Just enough to get by while maximizing profit. Overbuilding a data network is not they way they roll. Under...
I still think we are all missing something here. These can't just be tablet Macs. The tablet form factor is inherently non-ergonomic and inelegant. Apple has something else going on here. There has to be a "One more thing" that none of us has thought of or seen. A plain old tablet Mac is not going to be a money maker. A tablet Mac with that extra special Jobs sauce will. We just don't know what's in the sauce.