or Connect

Posts by DavidW

The vast majority of people that buy Apple products don't know a thing or even care about the inner workings of Apple, Inc.. Apple products speaks for themselves.  How many people really look into the company of the products they buy. Do people that buy Samsung products know or even care that the CEO of Samsung is a big time crook. How many people buying MS products know who the new CEO of MS is or even know that it's no longer Steve Ballmer (or Bill Gates for that...
 And that's just it. The $199 is just a faction of the TCO. For the 2 biggest carrier here in the US, the difference between the TCO with a $199 subsidized phone and without is about ...... $199. The two biggest carrier don't offer a lot of incentive to buy an unlock phone or use and already paid for one, by significantly reducing the cost of the plan. Everyone like to say that you're not really paying only $199 for the phone because you're subsidizing it in the cost of...
Not really a big deal when you consider that in a couple months, the 5s will be the $99 (with contract) phone anyway. And you got to figure that anybody whose contract is up, is not going to get a 5s now, not when they can get a 6 (small screen version) for the $199 subsidized price if they wait a couple of months.  The real buyers here are the people that were already planning to buy the 5s for $99 (subsidized) when the 6 comes out. They get their iPhone a couple of...
 But not by the same entity on the same money. Your income is taxed by the Fed and State (and sometimes Local). But that's not double taxation. That's a money grab by 2 (or more) different entities. If you give over $15,000 of money that you already paid tax on to a friend, that friend will have to paid tax on it (a gift tax). That's not double taxation because 2 different people are paying the tax on the same money. It would be double taxation if you also had to pay the...
 The average middle class tax payer pays about a 12% effective tax rate.  But if they are married, have kids and own a home with a mortgage, that rate drops to 5% pretty quick. (I'm only talking Federal income tax here.)  Besides, if to add the 5% on top of the foreign tax that Apple already paid, they will end up paying around 10-15% on that money. The same as the middle class tax payer.
I think they just can't use the "iPhone" name in their advertising. They could have a photo of an iPhone and state that it's the "Apple 5s phone". 
Not sure how the reset password is set up in iCloud. But on eBay, when you request a password reset, eBay will email you a message and you have to click on the link provided to reset your password. So a hacker can't reset the password because he wouldn't be the one getting the email. What would really worry me if some hacker accessed my iCloud account is whether the hacker can copied the back up files of the devices I have and then use it to restore another iPhone or iPad...
 What's so hard to understand? A hacker got hold of some users iCloud passwords because it was the same password they used on the account that the hacker actually hacked. While in iClould they used the "Find My iPhone (iPad)" function and locked out the device. As if the owner of the device had it lost or stolen and got into his iCloud account to lock it out. If the device had a passcode already entered, the "Find My Device" uses that passcode to regain access if the owner...
I believe President Obama tax plan left the tax on qualified dividend the same as it was in Former President Bush plan, for all the tax brackets except the highest 35%. At the 35% bracket all dividend are added to ordinary income and taxed at 35% or 39.5%. But it's still 0% for the bottom brackets and 15% for the others. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to pay any taxes on my qualified AAPL dividend for 2012 and 2013 after going though that confusing calculation in the tax...
 With many manufacturers, the revenue from units shipped is not as important as the number of units shipped, for the quarter. Usually they don't break down the quarter revenue to point where one can tell how much of it is revenue realized from units shipped and sold this quarter from revenue realized from units shipped last quarter but sold this quarter. But units shipped is the number many analyst use to forecast growth as this is the figure they use to compare to same...