or Connect

Posts by DavidW

That's a misquote. It should have read .......... "MCX has consumers' best interests to mine" ........ . ​

I'm aware of that. I have no problem with a store tracking my purchases made in their stores, with some customer rewards program or app. It's a choice I made. I use a Luckys and Walgreen Reward all the time to take advanage of their offers. But I do have a problem with some one like Google or this "CurrentC" thing tracking and data mining my purchases across many different stores (or in the case of GWallet across every purchase.), without having a say in it. And I know my...
 Apple can't share your CC purchase data because they keep no record of it. Apple don't even keep your real CC number. (Only the ones you use for your Apple accounts.) The transaction do not go through their cloud. The transaction takes place between your iPhone, the retailers NFC terminal and the bank. All done using a one time use token, generated in your iPhone, that can be linked back to your real CC only at the bank end. The retailer do not see your real CC number....
ApplePay actaully uses the tokenization software developed by Visa and MasterCard. It's everything after the NFC reader and is available to anyone that wants to use it. They just have to come up with a secure way of generating the token at the NFC terminal that meets Visa and MasterCard standards. The only thing proprietory to Apple is the way they generate the token, all within the iPhone. I can see MS getting into it and even being able to license some of Apple, Inc....
 Most merchants, specially large retailers, don't pay the credit card fee, their customers do. It's built into the cost of the goods they sell. Plus the cost of the CC fee is more than made up by the extra profit they get from selling goods to people that otherwise wouldn't have bought it if they couldn't use a CC or couldn't afford (at the time) if it weren't for the credit extended to them by a CC.  And CC adds to consumers impulse buying. Merchants knows this. I...
I can see, after another few generation of iPhones, Apple coming out with a iPod Nano size device for the sole purpose of ApplePay. Even after a few more generation on iPhones, over 70% of the consumers will still own Android or MS phones. By this time it won't really be canibalizing iPhone sales. If ApplePay takes off and there's no comparable service offered for these non-iPhone owners, then Apple can can tap that market with a small pocket size, say $100 device, with a...
 The focus of the suit is that Apple would not let any other music with DRM, other then FairPlay, play on their iPods (or in Tunes). Even if the DRM in the music met the record labels requirements. Unlike MS, Apple did not license out FairPlay for others to use. They were not required to. But the record labelsl did require the sellers of DRM music to maintain (and update) the DRM they installed in the music they sold AND to patch any hacks that may compromise that DRM. The...
 iPods and iTunes do not belong on that list. Even though the iPod is tied to iTunes, iTunes is free. Apple only makes money with iTunes if you purchased music from the iTunes Store. But this is not required, in order to get music into the iPod. And iTunes do not require an iPod to use. You can use iTunes to organize and play music (and now movies and videos) on a computer. Which is what it was orginally written for when Apple bought out SoundJam and turned it into iTunes. 
 To be fair. Real could not remove their DRM. The record labels won't let them. In order to sell digital music online, they were require to create and manitain some form of DRM.  Just like what Apple did with FairPlay and Microsoft did with PlaysForSure. (Which MS licensed out to others.) I remember there were also suits pertaining to the fact that Apple would not license out FairPlay to other players. So some thought that you had to own an iPod to buy music from the...