or Connect

Posts by DavidW

Now you're moving the goal post. The issue is albums sold, not revenue. In 2014, Taylor swift had the number 1 selling album with 3.6 million copies sold and it was only available for the last 9 weeks of 2014 and not available for streaming. The second place album was the soundtrack to Frozen. It barely missed being the top selling album with 3.5 million copies sold. It was the top selling album for all of 2014, except the last week, when Taylor Swift album over took it....
 Those 250 million iTunes users have access to free subscription music right now and have for the past 3 years. It's called Spotify. Granted it may not be as good as what Apple is going to offer, but still, it's free and been around for over 3 years. Spotify is accessible to everyone with a mobile device (with data or at least WiFi) or a computer with internet connection (which includes all iTunes users.)  So that's got to be way, way more than 250 million people. And yet,...
 I wasn't really talking about the pay subscription models. Taylor Swift don't seem to have too much of a problem with those either. It's the lost of sales of her new album, due to the free 3 month trial that I was addressing to the post that I quoted. I merely stated why, if she made her new album available on the 3 months of free trial subscription, that it would not have too much of an impact on her new album sales. But back in 2003 (or so) when iTunes came online,...
 No it wouldn't. Fans that likes her music will buy her albums regardless. Even if it only has one hit on it. People that thinks her music is just OK to listen to every once in a while or just like a few tracks won't think her music is worth buying in the first place and will just make a copy from some one they know that already has the album or buy the few tracks they like online. The RIAA wants you to believe that every illegal copy of a CD made is a CD sale loss. That...
 Well, one can argue that the reason the other manufacturers weren't making any compelling devices was because their phones didn't resemble an iPhone. After all, they all had access to the same Android. But you still got to give Samsung credit for not thinking like Microsoft, Nokia and Blackberry in thinking early on that the iPhone was only a fad and by the time they realized it wasn't, it was too late.
 But this "fee" is not paid for by all the tax paying Americans from their federal income taxes. It is paid for by all the Americans with cell phones and data plans. And it's a percentage of the cost of their plans. For Americans with a $150 family plan (with data) they may be paying $8.00 a month for this "fee", the cost is not minuscule. It is only minuscule for the Americans that are on one of these subsidized plan, as they don't have to pay the "fee" at all. What the...
 First of all, it's not thievery or copyright infringement in some countries. Making a copy from an original CD borrowed the library is legal in some countries. Providing the copy made is for personal use. And there are some people on this forum that are from these countries. They would not be violating any copyright laws, though I suppose they would still be "thieves" in your eyes because they did not compensate the copyright owner for the copy.  Supposed I bought a used...
 It has nothing to do with whether the copy you uploaded is legal or not. It's the distribution of said copy on bit torrent that is a violation of copyright laws. Even in countries that has legal music sharing. Even if you claim that the person that uploaded your iTune watermarked music was a person you legally shared your music with, I don't think you can legally give your friend a copy of an album you bought on iTunes so it can be copied. It would not be an original that...
 Most of the countries where it's legal to make a copy of an original CD for your own personal use, even if that copy belongs to a friend or library, paid for the rights to do so because they already paid a "music tax" of the blank media and the recording device. This "music tax" is distributed to the music union for this very purpose. (And you have to pay the "music tax" even if you didn't use it for music.) Therefore, if you borrowed a CD from a friend or check one out...
 The difference between you and an Apple employee is that you do not fall under the guidelines of FLSA. You work for yourself and thus you are not an employee of the clients that hires you. So if they want to hire you, they have to pay you according to your terms. You can charge them for a taxi and breakfast if you want. If they don't like it, you have the choice of telling them to hire someone else or you can decide not charge them for the taxi and breakfast, if you want...