or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Did you submit problem reports to Apple through the Mass app?My grandkids paternal grandfather lives in Victoria! Every summer they spend 2 weeks there on vacation. I have been able to track their movements with Apple maps with increasing accuracy for the past 3 years. Last year they went through Vancouver instead of Port Angeles ... Their Mom and I figured out what they were doing with Find My iPhone and were able to send them Ferry schedules and track their progress ...
I haven't lived in a cold climate (winter ice and snow) since ChicagoLand in the early 1970s. They didn't have those traffic sensors buried in the roads (or wires crossing the roads) salt and potholes would've destroyed them. Also, they didn't have those reflectors embedded in the lane markers and the edge of the road -- the first snow plow would've popped those little suckers like tiddlywinks!
Good post!When we lived in Saratoga, CA, my wife Lucy would frequently got to Los Gatos (Spanish for The Gatos) for shopping, etc. Lucy prided herself on finding a better alternate route to any destination -- she called it "the back way". So one day we had to take the car to the dealership -- Lucy gave me directions to use the back way. AIR, eliminated a few stop light but was a few miles longer and involved driving Quito Road.Quito road was 1-lane each way, very curvy...
The concept is good, but the information may not be in a usable form -- or it may not be available, at all. Los Angeles was the first municipality to automate all its traffic lights -- it took 30 tears and was completed in 2013.
Los Angeles has such a system that it uses to monitor and control its traffic signals:http://news.msn.com/us/los-angeles-syncs-up-all-4500-of-its-traffic-lightsProblem 1: The cost in time and dollarsProblem 2: Likely not feasible in metro ares with snow, ice and constantly torn-up roads -- ChicagoLand???Apple could offer this as a service to municipalities at a fraction of the cost -- and likely, provide more accurate results.Here's an interesting read about the failure...
Some more questions for @Relic, @Marvin -- or anyone with current experience in enterprise use of cellular: Question 1 Does enterprise pay for cellular data with a monthly charge for the device and a charge for data? I did some surfing and found a billing structure for enterprise similar to personal/family billing. (I could find no shared data plans in these offerings -- similar to some family plans.) For example, T-Mobile enterprise plan for 6 - 6,000 users...
I've refactored the formula, so it runs in a Swift Playground:Code:let AAPLsharePrice = (AAPLsharePrice > 99 ? println("🎉 Laissez les bon temps rouler") : println("😧"))Ah yes ... the stunning Mrs Peel:
FWIW, the best TV series I've seen in a long time is Downton Abbey.? AAPL > 100 NSDate
Wow! Great video -- they're not selling' soap the way they did in the 1980s ...You can easily see the native apps -- the executive spreadsheet, the taking pictures of, and rearranging store shelves ...Ahh, yes ... Sybase ... Sybase was the first major db to be ported to OS X -- I was a beta tester. FWIW, Sybase was almost identical with MS DB-Server ... the two companies collaborated and went their separate ways. Back then, Sybase was much cheaper to deploy ...Yes!...
Ha!@digi ...That reminds me of an old Bobby Darin song:With apologies in advance (gotta go put my dancin' shoes on ... I'm no swimmer, but were she slimmer ...:https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/multiplication/id30394501?i=30394536BOBBY DARINMultiplication Multi-curation LyricsWhen you see a gentleman beeAround a lady bee buzzing,Just count to ten, then count again:There's sure to be an even dozen.Multiplication Multi-curation, that's the name of the game.And each...