or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Mmm ... I wonder how this relates to Apple's purchase of Anobit last year and FoundationDB this month. Anobit used software to get enterprise class performance and reliability from inexpensive flash. One FoundationDB forte is getting performance and reliability from clustered SSDs at a reasonable price. As a side note, SQLite is available as an embedded db for OS X and iOS. The next version of SQLite (v4) exposes the underlying data model and data store. It turns...
Yes!Using Siri on Apple Watch, Apple will have access to Watson from Apple's [tic] IBM Subsidiary ...
Except, Apple could leave CoreData as is -- and Implement FoundationDB alongside it -- ala Obj-C and Swift.Also, I suspect that Apple has been looking to acquire a modern db and has been experimenting with FoundationDB for a while now:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoundationDBApple could certainly implement shadow FoundationDBs of whatever they use internally for production. Then, it can be a rather rigorous, but straight-forward process to stress test, validate and...
Mmm ...There is a rather obvious missing platform ,,, 64-bit iOS.I suspect we'll see iOS devices, real soon now, that meet the hardware requirements * -- Apple TV/Hub/Home Server and iPad Pro come to mind.* and that there will be a scaled [down] version for smaller iDevices.
I think you're both onto something!Modern Language + Modern DB + Modern UI == My Happiness!My Happiness == it's easy to keep track of my stuff!I suspect, rather than extend CoreData -- Apple will replace it with a scalable FoundationDB -- and the constructs will be built into Swift and Storyboards.KV pairs (hashes/dictionaries) are integral to OSX and iOS (Xcode) -- tho, some of the implementation is kludgey and showing its age.Here, Apple has the opportunity to address a...
I think the key to all this is the battery power/requirement of the iDevice being tracked -- with these two extremes:a hiker carrying an iPhone with no spare batterya vehicle carrying an iPhone plugged into a power sourceIn the first case, the app running on the tracked iPhone would periodically fire up the [power hungry] GPS and AWiFi radios to get a reasonably-accurate GPS location fix. Then, in the interim, use the sensors in the [low-power] M chip to calculate the...
The Apple Watch, in conjunction with Siri, is the remote control for the new Apple TV, HomeKit, HomeServer ...
I remember trying to find Apple HQ (Bandley 1) in June of 1978 -- no street signs, construction everywhere, roads being paved ... We lived in Saratoga about 3 miles away ... I was unfamiliar with Cupertino -- but my wife, Lucy, prided herself on being a great explorer ... After riding around, with several stops to examine spoor, we finally found it ...It's kind of interesting that most of the early Apple buildings still exist (except for Taco Towers).Anyway, By the time...
Great article, well presented! Didn't know that Pruneridge Ave was going to tunnel under the property ... Odd ... Don't know why ... But the site tour reminds me of my granddaughter and oldest grandson on a warm summer evening -- a few years back ...
TL;DR Forgive me if someone else posted this: If I were a merchant in a mall with an Apple Store which accepts Apple Pay -- I'd be damn sure that everyone knew that I accept Apple Pay, too ///