or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

I was replying to your:What I was trying to get across was that Public schools are not all the same nor do they have equal access to the tax base.Consider these:Upper middle-class suburban -- fewer students per home, yet they pay high property taxes on medium-high priced houses.Lower middle-class urban - more students per family, yet they pay little or no property taxes because they live in apartments.In the first case, the school district has lots of money to provide for...
Likely, I'm the same age as you or, a little older -- 75 on Friday!I'd throw out there, that it's more than just the tools ... the curriculum, the discipline, the dedication of the teachers ... Or the lack thereof.IMO, the main thing that technology offers -- and which is not being exploited -- is that it can demand participation by the student.We installed a 7 computer LAN of Apple ][ computers in Saratoga, CA High School in 1980 -- 2 students per computer.It was an...
Ahh ... ChicagoLand ...When we lived there, the state Supreme Court could not field a quorum -- because over half the members were in jail!Then there was Paul Powell, Illinois Secretary of State ... He entered Illinois politics as a poorer middle class individual. After several decades of Public Service, at Quote:12/01/2005 Paul Powell: The Illinois Democrat Who Died With $800,000 In His ShoeboxOK, OK, there was really more than just one shoebox. I'll let Seth...
It's not quite as simple as that ...In California, public schools are funded, mainly, by property taxes paid by home owners, and federal tax redistributions based on "butts in the chairs".In many poorer districts the property tax base is low because a lot of people rent apartments, live in trailer parks, etc.Add to that the collapse of the housing market where districts are receiving less property tax income because of unoccupied houses (some abandoned) and lower...
All this talk about a 5.5" iPhone is just so passé ... What Apple is spending $Billions for is to tool up manufacturing for the penultimate wearable ... the iBeacon Vibrator!
Just gotta' post something ... See if he picks up on mine (inspired by Sol).
Actually, AAPL has 5.9 billion shares outstanding.
Mmm ... Nice work!What if the new Lightning cable is reversible USB 3.0?That's up to 10 times faster transfer rate!
Code: import Foundation let url: NSURL = NSURL(string: "http://localhost/aapl") let aaplPrice: Double = (NSString.stringWithContentsOfURL(url, encoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding, error:nil)).doubleValue var label: String = "AAPL Stock price is " + String(format: "%0.2f", aaplPrice) if aaplPrice >= 100 {label += " Laissez les bons temps rouler 🎉"} else {label += " 😧"} println(label) AAPL Stock price is 100.34 Laissez les bons temps rouler 🎉
I agree!But maybe it's because they're using a new cell modem chip:http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/19/iphone-6-qualcomm-mdm9625-lte-advanced/