or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Well, then -- he certainly wouldn't want to be considered swift
My initial foray into web development (1997) was with JavaScript -- the first time I had done any programming in years.JavaScript was simple, easy to learn -- though a little slow in those days. I was able to write a shopping cart with JavaScript.So yes, it is an excellent starting point, IMO.However, I think that Swift offers several advantages over JavaScript:fastsafestrongly typedconcise syntaxforced initialization of variableswriting time validation of code as...
I agree! But I don't think those instructions are meant to be a means to understanding -- rather they are a starting point, a working example if you will -- which through research and experimentation provide the understanding you seek.Ray Wunderlich has some pretty good tutorials in Obj-C and Swift. Some of the older tuts, like RWMapping, have not, yet, been updated to Swift. IMHO, it is a worthwhile exercise to follow the tut, but implement the code in Swift -- you...
Mmm ... I am amazed at how much I misjudge someone by a series of web posts spanning years!My problem squarely lies with the syntax, not with the logic, but not having a good foundation of the mechanics of how the code and compiler work to create the program is certainly an issueWhy is that an issue -- any more than when you insert a DVD the player app pops up (with appropriate drivers) to play your DVD?Seriously, that's an unnecessary distraction/crutch -- it just works! ...
I don't know what cargo cutting means!Really? From our prior exchanges, I assumed that you had a much broader traditional CSI/OOP background than I.I am more anal-retentive than most, and want to understand everything about something before I use it. But, had I done that, I'd be the best damn assembly programmer around -- let's talk assembler macro pre-processors ... yes, did that on the Apple ][ ...BASIC was/is a disaster ... Not until UCSD Pascal was an Apple...
Again, I can't disagree! I re-reviewed the first 10 minutes of Paul Hegarty's Stanford Swift course. He is very firm that you need an understanding of OOP or you will suffer in his course ... then goes ahead and teaches it as if you don't understand OOP -- and provides OOP explanations as needed.I never attended a a CSI course nor one in OOP -- when I learned to program, those didn't exist (I'll be 76 in August).Still, from reading, videos, and Obj-C programming...
I think that technically you are correct!But, practically, you have about 10 minutes to grab the kids' interest ... and thinking about programming objects -- ain't gonna' get the job done!
Interesting ...I think it was 1958 when I took my first assembler course at IBM. Prior to that we wrote code in octal absolute. The assembler was called IBM 650 SOAP for System Optimal Assembly Program. The Optimal was related to the fact that the 650 used a drum memory to store the program and the data. The assembler would distribute instructions and data across the drum to compensate for drum rotation latency.Not very assemblerish or CSIish ... But the...
Maybe the problem is not too much abstraction -- but, too little abstraction!For my own education, I recently proved that you could write a usable, multiple-column table (think spreadsheet) app without writing a line of code. * The columns were searchable, resizable, rearrangeable, [un]hideable, sortable, accumulatable and modifiable. Additional rows could be added, in place with optional default values for the various columns. You could select multiple (adjacent...