or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Maybe the problem is not too much abstraction -- but, too little abstraction!For my own education, I recently proved that you could write a usable, multiple-column table (think spreadsheet) app without writing a line of code. * The columns were searchable, resizable, rearrangeable, [un]hideable, sortable, accumulatable and modifiable. Additional rows could be added, in place with optional default values for the various columns. You could select multiple (adjacent...
Here are a couple of examples of how Playgrounds can be used in interactive Swift Programming / Computer Science education: These Playgrounds illustrate:interactive code entry, compilation and execution (REPL)included narrative (written markdown) presenting the theory behind the codeinteractive display of the code execution results in a assistant editorThis shows what could be done -- it is not perfect -- far from it.For one, It is a resource hog.Secondly, the narrative...
You don't need to know Obj-C to write Swift code.There are cases where you might need to know both -- say getting a job maintaining/converting legacy Obj-C code ...The Apple/IBM Mobile First partnership appears to be totally New Swift code.
Oddly, I kinda' agree with both of you ...@ascii, I agree with teaching the concepts separately form the toolset ... however, not in that order.@rob53, I agree that you need to grab and hold the student's attention from the gitgo ... then flesh out their knowledge with the concepts supporting it.For example, If you were going to teach hammers, I would begin by demonstrating how a hammer can:break a piece of wood into two piecesconnect the pieces with nailsseparate the...
Good post!I suspect that within the next few years:the electronics and battery requirements of the iPhone will be significantly miniturized / reduced -- to the point where they can be contained within the top/bottom/edge bezels.This would allow the area for the iP display to become an entity unto itself -- possibly encapsulated in glass, plastic, sapphire front and back.In other words, the iP display could be clear (see-through, no background) for VR, heads-up, etc. -- or...
Ha! I grew up in Southern California and lived in Tucson and really enjoy the Mexican culture -- especially the food and the music!I have a lot of Mexican songs in my music library.It's a real challenge to get Siri to understand:Hey Siri, play Las Ma├▒anitasSiri: Sorry, I couldn't find 'lost money Anitas' in your music!OrSiri: Sorry, I couldn't find 'last Monday's meters' in your music
Hey Sol, how you been?
Have you seen the Queen's Farris Wheel (or whatever it's called)? On OS X El Capitan and iOS9 on an iP 5s, you can see the wires supporting the wheel ...Not only that, the wheel rotates in real-time! Try that with Google Street View, Maps, Earth!Periodically, Apple opens the kimono a little to tease us as to what's possible/coming ...This is such a little thing -- but a big thing, really -- How'd they do that?FWIW, I love OS X El Capitan and iOS9 -- in the words of...
Predetermined result of the old TV series Hawaii 50 ... I just looked it up -- It's actually "Book'em Danno!"All these years ... like the drum majorette in the Playboy cartoon ...Yeah! Crowdies are an excellent potential source -- but the submissions need to be monitored/moderated!
I posted this about 3 weeks ago:This was a pretty good navigation experience:The Watch would tap your wrist to get attentionSiri would tell you what to doand the directions were displayed on the iP 6.The Jeep (Dodge product) does not support CarPlay. As you say, the experience could have been better:display the directions on the cars HUDsquelch the radio when Siri talksWe were doing mostly freeway driving and didn't experience any road noise -- a 2015 vehicle with the...