or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Don't underestimate the tactile and visual appeal of something old and weathered juxtaposedagainst something modern and sleek ...Here's an iPhone case:Here's an Objet D'Art made from wood siding salvaged from a pig farm in Marana Arizona ...Here's that same item used as a background for a photograph taken by my granddaughter:
Maple?I just got my 6 Plus with a black leather case ...Nice case -- but non-distinctive?I had walnut cases on earlier iPhones that I really liked!Would it be possible, with your wood technology to create a case from thin aged wood (naturally or chemically)? I suspect you'd need to coat it with epoxy (or somesuch) to provide a smooth surface and keep the wood intact.But I think it would make a really distinctive statement!Something like this:
Ahh ... I see what you are saying "I also see the server as being the gateway device, rather than an endpoint in the network. Easier to make remote access work securely."This may be what Apple has in mind -- they said that while out and about, the HomeKit app on your iPhone would securely communicate with the HomeKit accessories ... They didn't say how -- or communicate with what -- certainly not directly, with each accessory, in turn.I'll have to ruminate on the...
Oh ... Sorry! I misread your OP -- thought you were positing about winning over Android swishers.
Mmm ...Some friends of my parents in the 1960s in Pasadena (cold nights and poorly-insulated houses) -- revealed that they slept naked -- but always were a little chilled around the shoulders ...Their solution was to wear matching Bolero Jackets:I always wondered ...
You are saying, if HomeKit requires access through a hub -- than any HomeKit controller (AppleTV or iPhone) would need to provide access through that hub.A "hub", as defined by HomeKit is an aggregation device -- ala the Hue Hub. HomeKit can speak "hub", but it also speaks to the individual accessories --- the individual Hue bulbs.AIR, in order to meet the specs of a HomeKit accessory, the individual accessories must be accessible and able to identify themselves --...
Why do you think that the Airport (or any router) is better?It has limited storage,it is relatively non-programmable (except for router functions)it is more expensiveit is less flexible (a dumb device vs a smart device)it requires both the Internet and WiFi to be active to work ** The AppleTV could be used with its IR controller (or an iPhone or AppleWatch with IR) to control HomeKit devices. In addition, an iPhone (or an AppleWatch) could use its WiFi to communicate...
You are approaching your home, and use your iPhone to send control codes to:open the garage doorturn on the garage lightunlock the door between the garage and the houseScenario 1 You do this with your iPhone how? (so far undefined by Apple). Lets say you send a cell or WiFi packet, in the clear, for each command to each accessory. The commands must be sent in the clear because your cell radio or WiFi router do not know about or understand HomeKit or its accessories.So a...
Ya' put a little ginger under his tail
ApplePay, alone, could be the driving force for many to purchase an iPhone 6 and disqualify anything else.HealthKit will drive many more sales -- and availability of the AppleWatch, in early 2015, should create an upsurge in iPhone 6 sales -- in the normally flat March quarter.HomeKit, too, should drive iPhone sales.The new openness of Apple SDKs brings iOS 8 up to par (or better) with competing platforms.Swift and Xcode gives Apple Developers a superior development...