or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

" Long press presents a context menu, from which you select an action to execute"That's just not true -- the iDevice developers can do anything they want when a long press gesture is detected -- say, segue to a different view and play a video ...Here's some code to setup a long press gesture recognizer:Code:override func viewDidLoad() { super.viewDidLoad() let gesture: UILongPressGestureRecognizer = UILongPressGestureRecognizer(target: self,...
I question the uniqueness of force touch. Of course I have no tactile experience with force touch on the Apple Watch -- but I do have experience with using it in the iOS simulator. Currently, you can use a long press gesture on an iDevice screen to accomplish the same thing as force touch. on the Watch -- display a menu and perform an action based on user tapping a button, It's all done in software, and more flexible than force touch ...  What's the big deal?
I disagree! Tim will meet his commitment that the Apple Watch is available in April ... That does not mean that it cannot be available, supply-constrained, in March. There is much to gain by beating the April deadline! 
I agree -- to some extent!However, I think the impending March 9 event is strategically driven by the calendar -- rather than a competing conference.Apple should be able to announce, open preorders and ship/release the Apple Watch in the last few weeks of March. This creates the buzz you mention -- but also gives them positive fodder for the 2Q15 Earnings Call some time in April.Tim will be able to say something like: "We are extremely happy with the acceptance of the...
Ohhh ... Do you have any more info about the IBM / Apple event?It would be really ballsy if they showed some new IBM mobile apps on an iPad Pro running Swift 1.2 -- collaborating through a new AppleTV ... upstage²
OK, here goes.: March 02 - iOS 8.2 Release March 09 - Apple Watch formal Introduction March 13 - Apple Watch Preorders begin March 20 - Apple Watch Available Online and Retail -- ships with iOS required on attendant iPhone iOS 8.3 contains Swift 1.2, and could be released anytime -- I suspect that Swift 1.2 is needed, ASAP, for the Apple / IBM partnership -- and could be tied to an iPad Pro. When iOS 8.3 is released it will support Apple Watch.
Mmm ... I always thought it was Fall Forward and Spring Back ...That 'splains a lot of things ...
Right now, there are 2 separate developer releases of iOS:8.2 beta 5 with Watch Kit8.3 beta 2 with Swift 1.2 (and other enhancements)I suspect that these will be merged and released after the Apple Watch ships ... Likely, the Apple Watch will ship with some version of iOS 8.2.Currently, all developers (except Apple and a few select 3rd parties) are limited to writing apps that run on the paired iPhone and use the Watch as an I/O display -- none of these apps are installed...
Apple Watch Pre-Orders begin on the 12th, 16th or 23rd ...
You bring up a good point ...I can remember, in the late 1950s, discussing the conflicts in Ireland and the middle east with co-workers.It seemed that the conflicts had gone on forever -- with each side trying to right wrongs committed, long ago, against their ancestors ... creating new wrongs for their descendants to fight over ...There seemed to be no solution -- and no way for the participants to take peaceful advantage of the benefits of the 20th century.Now, some 60...