or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Ahh ... That explains a lot. He understands the strengths and weaknesses, and what's important and what's not.
I agree ...Consider:Chris Lattner was, purportedly, hired by Apple to update its compiler and runtime (LLVM) and then debugger (LLDB). Later he became responsible for Xcode and all Developer tools (I assume this was because of his proven accomplishments, above).So, at that point, Apple [mostly] owned the complete stack:the language - Obj-Cthe memory managementthe underlying APIs and Frameworksthe GUI constructs NIB/XIBs and Storyboards.the IDEthe compilerthe debuggerthe...
This one is different ...I've taken hundreds hours of Computer-related programming courses since 1956 -- And even taught a few myself!!This is the best instructor and style I've seen!
This:https://itunes.apple.com/us/course/developing-ios-8-apps-swift/id961180099
"Personally, I don't think that Swift is anywhere near ready for prime time"Swift has evolved (maybe has been incrementally exposed is a better phrase) since it's release at WWDC 8 months ago. It's gone from being unusable to being relatively stable for a 1.0 product.I think that a lot of the problems are with Xcode and tools rather than with the language, itself. Both Swift and Xcode seem to get better with each beta release.I understand that professional developers do...
I've heard similar opinions/experiences to yours.Just out of curiosity:What version of Xcode were you using when programming with Swift?When did you return to Obj-C?
See:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24042774/can-i-mix-swift-with-c-like-the-objective-c-mm-filesThere are several Obj-C/C++ wrapper examples ... Does this help the situation?Also, as to Marketing Fluff -- I don't consider Chris Lattner a marketeer -- Not only did he create Swift, but he was responsible for Apple's implementation of LLVM ... He has come credentials.
I am not a professional programmer -- but have some web development experience (JavaScript, Perl, PHP, ColdFusion) and have some Java, Obj-C and now Swift programming under my belt.From my perspective, it seems you might be better off using Swift and Java as opposed to Obj-C and Java. It won't give you a cross-platform code base, but it could make you more productive. because:Swift Syntax is more like Java Syntax than Obj-C syntaxSwift Syntax is more concise (less cruft)...
So, how do you currently develop cross-platform apps?
If it's anything like our court (little further East Bay than you) ...The trash and recyclables had just been picked up, and the containers were still on the street, blocking the curbs and gutters ...It was only the Street Sweeper making his weekly pass doing wheelies at top speed down the center of the street ...