or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

I agree! IB/NIB/XIB implimentation seemed like half a job well done! You still had to do so much in code, and make it match up with IB — that many early XCode programerrs just said screw it — I can do it easier in code (often cut/paste). I think that Swift and Storyboards might just turn that around.It’s called job security through refactoring Well, yes and no … First, consider that a large number of apps use a table view — even considering that on iOS the table is...
LOL!Actually. You could eliminate 10 of the 12 lines of code that were used to prime the table array, by reading it from a file or a web site -- but it would take 2 pages of narrative/comments to describe the process ;D
I disagree .. They belong together -- each enhances the other -- they should be introduced together!
The iWatch(es) are great news ... But I think the best is yet to come! WOT! I hadn't done any OS X programming for years -- the last thing I worked on was an app that presented a multi-column table view ala iTunes -- each column was sortable, resizeable, movable hideable ... Back then you used an NSTableView and had to do a lot of verbose, error-prone glue code to make all the pieces of functionality work together. About a week ago, my daughter's weird Mac recipe app...
We have about 6 TB of shared iTunes library.Also, my 3 grandkids have been active in soccer for 10 years -- two practices and 1 one game per week X 3 -- lots of video footage ~= 10 TB,Then, two of the grandkids are active in photography -- 76,000 photos/videos in iPhoto for ~= .5 TB ...All three grandkids have iPads and iPhones and are taking photos or shooting videos all the time.My oldest grandson is becoming active in Steam games -- he downloads several each day -- they...
Over the years I bought about 34 TB of La Cie drives (20 drives). Love the drives, but all the power supplies (external) failed. I called support and they replaced about half the power supplies, free. Later, when the replacements failed, in turn -- they refused to replace them or offer any discount on the poor-quality, high-priced replacement power supplies.So much for costumer satisfaction/loyalty!Pissed, I bought a Promise Pegasus 10 TB Thunderbolt 1 RAID ... Then a...
I was replying to your:What I was trying to get across was that Public schools are not all the same nor do they have equal access to the tax base.Consider these:Upper middle-class suburban -- fewer students per home, yet they pay high property taxes on medium-high priced houses.Lower middle-class urban - more students per family, yet they pay little or no property taxes because they live in apartments.In the first case, the school district has lots of money to provide for...
Likely, I'm the same age as you or, a little older -- 75 on Friday!I'd throw out there, that it's more than just the tools ... the curriculum, the discipline, the dedication of the teachers ... Or the lack thereof.IMO, the main thing that technology offers -- and which is not being exploited -- is that it can demand participation by the student.We installed a 7 computer LAN of Apple ][ computers in Saratoga, CA High School in 1980 -- 2 students per computer.It was an...
Ahh ... ChicagoLand ...When we lived there, the state Supreme Court could not field a quorum -- because over half the members were in jail!Then there was Paul Powell, Illinois Secretary of State ... He entered Illinois politics as a poorer middle class individual. After several decades of Public Service, at Quote:12/01/2005 Paul Powell: The Illinois Democrat Who Died With $800,000 In His ShoeboxOK, OK, there was really more than just one shoebox. I'll let Seth...
It's not quite as simple as that ...In California, public schools are funded, mainly, by property taxes paid by home owners, and federal tax redistributions based on "butts in the chairs".In many poorer districts the property tax base is low because a lot of people rent apartments, live in trailer parks, etc.Add to that the collapse of the housing market where districts are receiving less property tax income because of unoccupied houses (some abandoned) and lower...