or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

I find this surprising and personally embarrassing... 1) I have seen the Android "numbers" advantages (market share growth) and assumed that they were wrong. 2) I have seen the summary Analyst reports of these "numbers" and assumed that the Analysts were [incorrectly counting or classifying and] skewing the results -- and doing a disservice to their customers by "telling 'em what they wanted to hear". 3) I have read and believed articles challenging the "numbers" and...
Oh, yeah... In spades! Just wait until the creatives and technologists gat APIs for this stuff... Take a 3D picture of a thing, animate it and then create a 3D Blender (whatever) model... Then use that to create...Do you want to be inside the hamster ball looking out... Or outside the hamster ball looking in... Or both?
Apple is doing a lot with e-commerce... Especially NFC -- they just killed it with iBeacons.The use of the PrimeSense technology, as I described it, has to do with securing/identifying an external device like an iPad cash register with the secure (TouchID) data on your device... "It takes two to tango" securely.I suspect I understand it as well as you do!I have been purchasing Apple devices since 1978 (Apple ][). I have been observing/working with Apple since 1978 as: ...
I suspect that this has more to do with the purchase of WiFiSLAM (indoor navigation and location), security and ecommerce -- than games and TV.You have a chip and a technology that can do live facial recognition. Similar, in a way to TouchID, the chip/app on your iDevice can build and store an encrypted profile of your facial scan.Then a device like an iPad checkout terminal (cash register/CC reader replacement) can do an independent facial scan and send it to your...
Agree! It is more likely at the in-store level.Here's a shopping scenario:you select some items in the store by tapping your iPhone on product screens presented (determined by a nearby iBeacons)then you approach the iPad checkout station which is aware of the [potential] purchases (it doesn't know who you are)the iPad checkout includes a mobile PrimeSense camera that performs facial recognitionit sends that [encrypted] to your iPhoneyour iPhone decides that it is you (the...
I agree that it is not likely that Apple will enter the TV Set business -- though, I could see Apple offering large 4K displays.The first video at the 925mac.com site shows facial recognition (security, ecommerce). An example is a couple walking past a store window showing a large display. The store is closed. The display shows a full-size image of the woman, and she tries on a blouse then purchases it for later pickup or delivery. No phone, no tablet, no wallet, no...
I am beginning to think that M&A (and integration) of key technology may be what sets Apple apart from the competition. Oddly, in Steve Jobs' original term, Apple had a tremendous NIH attitude. The acquisition of NeXT (and the return of Jobs) signaled a change in Apple's opinion of the technology field. A great change, IMO!
At about 0:48 into the first movie (in the article), they (Qualcom): take a picture of a toy figure create a 3D animated model include it as a character participating in a live game. Consider this -- What if you could: take individual pictures of you and your friends create a 3D animated models include you and your friends as characters participating in a live game. Or even better, you and your friends as characters participating in a live action movie... Or a...
How about this:It's Coming...Dedicated Mac Pro Hosting and Colocationhttp://www.macstadium.com/mac-pro
What you say is true, today -- but it is starting to change. The status-quo Wintel apps are kind of like the "rust belt" of technology.For example take POST/Checkout/Cash Registers... Today, that job can be done cheaper and more efficiently on an iPad -- and it doesn't require special technical ability (IT) to setup and support.Within the next 2 years we will see the bulk of customers pay for onsite purchases, say in a supermarket, with your phone, receive an itemized...