or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Antitrust/restraint of trade laws sometimes produce some interesting rulings. In the 1950s, A small Southern California Supermarket chain:  Von's Market;  attempted to merge with another small local chain:  Shopping Bag Stores. Even though the merged chain had less than 30% of the market (AIR, it was 17%), the merger was struck down -- it was ruled that the longer term effect tended towards an illegal monopoly. In the 1970s, IBM had 97% of the maimframe computer market....
Consider it from this perspective:You are a manufacturer and want to enter the smart phone marketplaceYou need an OS to run on the phoneThe only viable choice of OSes is Android with a dominant market shareIn order to use Android on your phones, Google the Android provider, requires you to offer other Google apps using Google services to the exclusion of competing apps and servicesThis is called an illegal tie-in. There are lots of antitrust case precedents striking down...
Bingo!
... looks "like a one-eyed cat peeping' in a seafood store"
I wonder if Apple will contract map, street view and indoor mapping services from Nokia: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/25/technology/digital-mapping-may-be-nokias-hidden-jewel.html?_r=0 It certainly would be a fast path to flesh out Apple Maps.
Ahh ... a noise word should be selectively ignored -- not necessarily be used as a determinant!The question is when ... What if you wanted to go to the A & P ... or the Big Red S...
I wouldn't read too much into that -- math, music, programming (Computer Science) are, actually, quite similar disciplines.I recall that one of the early programming tools for the IBM 1401 computer (circa 1960) was called FARGO (Fourteen-o-one Automatic Report Generation Operation). It was written by a crazy Hungarian (öt, hat, hét, nyolc) Music major working in the IBM LA (Wilshire Blvd) Data Center. I was working for Lockheed, and programming the 1st commercial 1401...
I agree ... At first I asked Siri for "Ralphs grocery and deli" -- no luck!I think Google's search algorithm tries to return a match -- if it can't find an exact match, it returns the best match.I think Apple's search algorithm tries to find an exact match -- often, if it can't find an exact match, it returns nothing.I've kinda' grown used to asking for a more direct simpler search when Apple returns nothing ...Another demonstration of where less is more I prefer Google's...
If you watch the following long and noisy video, I think there is a discussion about how the WiFiSLAM tech uses noise to create an unique fingerprint for an indoor location. The noise can be radiation from anything from WiFi signals, IR, magnetic waves, pipes in the walls, etc. -- and the more noise the better. So, if BTLE can contribute to the noise, likely, it can help define the fingerprint.This may be especially true because the fingerprint is temporal in that the...
Siri: "Seattle Ralphs Grocery" (my current location is SF East Bay)I have to admit, though, Apple Maps search algorithms are not, yet, as good as Google Maps.