or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

You are approaching your home, and use your iPhone to send control codes to:open the garage doorturn on the garage lightunlock the door between the garage and the houseScenario 1 You do this with your iPhone how? (so far undefined by Apple). Lets say you send a cell or WiFi packet, in the clear, for each command to each accessory. The commands must be sent in the clear because your cell radio or WiFi router do not know about or understand HomeKit or its accessories.So a...
Ya' put a little ginger under his tail
ApplePay, alone, could be the driving force for many to purchase an iPhone 6 and disqualify anything else.HealthKit will drive many more sales -- and availability of the AppleWatch, in early 2015, should create an upsurge in iPhone 6 sales -- in the normally flat March quarter.HomeKit, too, should drive iPhone sales.The new openness of Apple SDKs brings iOS 8 up to par (or better) with competing platforms.Swift and Xcode gives Apple Developers a superior development...
My daughter's iPhone 6 with leather case is, for all practical purposes, the equivalent size of the iP5C and case it replaced -- but with much better everything!My iPhone 6+ left Inchon about an hour ago -- delivery on the 25th. Interesting, that the printout template of the iPhone 6+ is almost the same footprint of my granddaughter's Cannon 60D DLSR (about 40 times thicker).From the pictures and videos already posted to the web, I suspect that the 6+ will cause...
As I stated in several earlier threads, the AppleTV would be an ideal HomeKit controller/server. Consider: you were out and about with your iPhone running HomeKit -- as you approach home, you want to turn lights on, unlock the gates, open the garage door, etc. Simple, Right? You just use your iPhone to send the commands to ... to ... to what, exactly? To your router? To each accessory? That means, the control codes are sent in a way that anyone can intercept them...
Ahh ...In much of populated California, the daytime temps get 80-90 degrees and nighttime 30-50 degrees ... there isn't a lot of foliage/trees to retain the heat and humidity. Also, compared to colder climates, the houses are not particularly well insulated.In the winter months, in the San Francisco East Bay we normally heat our 2-story house with a heat-radiating, wood-burning fireplace in the family room (when we're allowed to burn). Around the house we wear sweats or...
Got my daughter's 64 GB 6 to replace her 16 GB 5C. It is only slightly larger than the 5C. I got to play with the camera for about 2 minutes -- nice ... very nice! Bought the 5C unlocked -- that goes to my youngest grandson -- to replace his 16 GB 4S. I still want an iPad or iPad Mini (with all the features of the iP6+) -- These old eyes (and short fat fingers) need the bigger screen. I seldom make or receive phone calls -- and look dorky regardless of whether I use...
TouchID ... TouchID? It occurs to me that they never said that you had to use your finger for TouchID ... Not only could that make ApplePay more interesting -- but it virtually guarantees that nobody would want to steal your iPhone ... Eeww!
I think that Tim Cook has made Apple fun again!
AT&T reception is pretty good in the Bay Area ...Let us know how the T-Mobile thing works out, if you decide to go with them.I hate AT&T -- they seem to find a way to add meaningless little charges to nickel and dime you to death -- $40 for a goddamn upgrade fee my loard.T-Mobile offers better deals and even offers to buy your existing contract but I've heard their reception is shitty, here abouts.BTW, where do you live?