or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

First my post (above) that you quote -- was responding to accessing C constructs in Swift vs accessing C constructs in Obj-C.I guess I must be dense then ....The code below is from a Swift Playground -- The Blue-Highlighted construct uses CoreGraphics C code to set the TableView frame -- I don't think that is tricky at all -- actually, rather easier to code than Obj-C :var tableView = UITableView(frame:CGRect(x: 0, y: 0, width: 320, height: 320), style:.Plain)The...
You are describing Dynamic RAM or DRAM ... There is also Static RAM or SRAM.SRAM maintains its state without refreshing (less power). It can be faster, take more space and be more expensive -- see article quoted below.But, this may be of interest -- RAM manufacturer Micron has a large contract with an unnamed customer [rumored to be Apple].http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2014/01/08/micron-shares-rise-on-strong-results-possible-apple-contract/There are other...
As I understand it:many Obj-C classes use Foundation APIs which are [mostly] written in CSwift currently uses these same APIs by internal access to the current Obj-C classesSwift APIs are being rewritten to access the Foundation APIs directly -- obviating Obj-C to access these APIsSwift and Obj-C will co-exist for the foreseeable future to allow migration to pure SwiftI suspect that a Swift programmer, if desired, will be able to access/include C APIs and Libraries ... and...
Yes!It hasn't been emphasized, but I believe that one of the long-term advantages of Swift is that it will allow system developers to write code that is closer to the iron ...I suspect that the Apple Watch OS will take advantage of this -- especially in the access, storage, manipulation and display of data -- first with the required iPhone -- but eventually as a standalone device.After all, access to Data is what it's really all about -- everything else is just...
One of the primary advantages of Swift code is that it's execution is Fast. Faster executing than equivalent Objective-C or C code.There were some tests run on the very early version of Swift which showed poor performance -- but that was on a Swift compiler that was optimized for debugging and not performance.With each release of XCode6 betas, the Swift implementation has improved. Underlying Obj-C frameworks are being rewritten and optimized for Swift.I haven't read...
Well said!
I think that Microsoft should carefully consider the name of their new OS and the implication it has on all of the descendants to follow ... With that in mind, I suggest: Windows Quaker
... Never hit 8 and 9 17 when you play against the dealer leader -- you know the odds won't ride with you ...... In all the bars along Main Street up in Redmond -- the dreams of the season supremecy All spill down on the floor ...Years. are gambled and lost like Summer wages OS releases...
I'm gonna' wait for WindowsXXX ...