or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Yeah, in our household of 5 we all synch/backup our iPhones to a common iTunes library and a common iPhoto Library. So any photos or movies in the cloud are also in the iPhoto library.You can verify this:start iPhotoselect "Shared iCloud" in the navigation columnselect and open a stream (double click on it)select any photo or movieright click --> Show in Librarywithout touching the library display (it won't scroll to the selection): Menu-->File-->Reveal in...
Some of this can be done by 3rd-party developers using iBeacons, TouchID, Extensions. Handoff and HomeKit. *A WiFiSLAM API (when implemented) could be used to map buildings and determine inside locations.Then, there's this thing called "Apple Connectivity" (not really defined) that will allow an iDevice to control accessories (devices) from a remote location.* HomeKit may be a misnomer -- as it's specs are robust enough that it could easily be adapted to enterprise...
Maybe smarter ... Smart phones don't take selfies
Mmm ... I just checked, and there have been only a few changes to MapKit this year for iOS and OS X -- none for iOS 8 or Yosemite. Then there were the rumors that Maps weren't discussed at WWDC because of middle management problems in the maps group. Then the leak of the "Flyover Tours" feature ... Now, this "overhaul" ... I suspect that there are hooks in iOS and Yosemite to support enhanced Maps feature -- but the APIs are not included (or not exposed to...
Thanks for the link ...I've been busy reporting problems (and some not-so-subtle feature requests).The linked form is a better vehicle.I find that Google, sad to say, does a much better job of parsing search requests, evaluating context -- then selecting the proper map results.For example (from anywhere) when you use Apple Maps:st pauls, london -- displays the proper mapst peters, rome -- displays a location in upstate new yorkOr while displaying jerusalem:both temple of...
AIR, in the WWDC keynote description of iCloud enhancements, they described the ability to share (photos?) with no requirement for login by the sharee* Don't call me Cheri ...I suspect that Apple has a legal basis to challenge swapping domain requests away from Apple domainOn iCloud.com, Find My Phone uses Google maps backend (existing contract?)On iOS 8 Find My iPhone uses Apple maps backend.I think Apple should:use Apple maps for all on all platformscombine/extend the...
Some additional thoughts on using a Router vs an AppleTV to interface HomeKit accessories.[devices]. While it may be true that many of these accessories can be considered to be self-contained servers, they are limited to performing functions specific to that particular device -- a Phillips Hue Bridge can control Hue light bulbs, but cannot control a garage door, a thermostat or even non-Hue light bulbs. On its own, each of these accessories is pretty much doing its own...
We're talking past each other ... From prior posts, I know you understand client-server relationships ...We'll just have to wait and see ...
No, that' says remote control!You have 24 lights, 4 security cams, 3 motion detectors ... In the upstairs bedrooms and hall ways ...You want to spend your time, remote controlling each one of these ...Why not hire a maid and text her to do that for you (and hope she does it)?Better -- spend $99 and get it done?Apple doesn't like to expose complexity, so they don't describe a client-server relationship.But they spilled their hand when they said that the HomeKit app must...
This is totally 180 out!Why add the cost/inconvenience/incompatibility by adding a server to each device?Some of these devices are small, inexpensive and you want to add a raspberryPie to each one of these?How would you set the time on each of these?How would you coordinate: turning off all the downstairs lights, activating the security alarms, motion detecters, cams, etc.?How would you know if the desired actions actually took place?With HomeKit, you do something like: ...