or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Ahhh ... You go back through the Allaire --> MacroMedia --> Adobe years of CF.I haven't done any for pay web sites since 2001.But, I did port Linux CFMX to OS X in 2002 (with some behind-the-scene help from MacroMedia employees)http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2002/08/08/coldfusion_three.htmlOnce the port was proven viable, MacroMedia decided to support CFMX on the Mac (with some behind-the-scene lobbying by MacroMedia employees). They, originally supported the...
I did a lot of Perl and JavaScript, some php ... most of my paid development was database-driven and I found ColdFusion to be much easer to program and read -- didn't need to mess with connections, timeouts, errors, forgetting to close;  had concise, self-documenting, high-level code. You could include Java/JavaScript components if you needed more granular control.One of the problems with many languages (especially Perl and APL) is you couldn't read your own code 6...
WOT: There was a TV Show in the 1960s called the Defenders with father and son lawyers -- E.G. Marshall and Robert Reed (Bradey Bunch). One episode in particular, involved the defense of an Exotic Dancer. The next morning, a local radio DJ (AIR, Dick Whittinghill) was discussing the show ...  He thought he'd have a little fun while Mom was cooking breakfast, so he dug out a (then obscure) record and talked over it ... Something like: ... "flip those eggs" ... "Now,...
Mmm ... Does the IRS do any business in Massachusetts
Through MR, BGR reports that Apple will release the next beta of iOS 8 (and Yosemite?, Xcode 6?, and AppleTV?) next Monday.http://bgr.com/2014/07/16/apple-ios-8-download-beta-4-release-notes/The last release (beta 3) included a lot of Swift changes -- bug fixes, syntax cleanup, playground enhancements. You can run all of this on current Mavericks OS X.XCode 6 is the key here -- that's where the Swift language resides, and all the new (and newly-exposed) APIs. For example...
"Interactive development and testing with Swift is kind of fun", said Tim, playfully!
Another potential advantage to SMB and enterprise is that IBM already has the infrastructure in place to offer financing/leasing of iDevices to their customers. This can be a very attractive option when a business is considering deployment of hundreds or thousands of devices. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/business-equipment-buying-vs-leasing-29714.html
And Swift, amazing Swift!I cut my teeth learning to program on IBM maimframes -- and have used almost every programming language/environment they offered ...They never had nuttin' like Swift.I suspect that IBM and Apple will write most of their future apps using Swift!And it follows that IT departments that want to write apps for these devices will use Swift, too ...And, Swift only runs on Macs ..."Swift is one of the best OOP programming languages", said Tim, objectively.
I think it's a matter of validation ... and of circumstancesI think Jobs' NeXT would have done an IBM deal like this.I don't think Jobs' Apple would have done this.It is revealing that Cook's Apple has done this!It'll be fun to watch the ripples in the pond ...
Apple Inc. (AAPL) Pre-Market Trading $97.44 up $2.12 2.22% IBM $192.20 up $3.71 1.97%