or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

2 of the 3 owners, Jim and myself, came from IBM ... so quality and service were part of our DNA.We decided on these simple objectives for our company:provide a fair return [profit] to our investorsprovide the best products and services to our customershave funYou can't believe how easy that makes everyday decision making!
The memory chips (and some others) working loose was the problem I described in my post. I never heard of "dropping it 6 inches" * as a solution. Rather, the burn-in would heat the chips and cause them to loosen. You then pushed down on each chip [with power on if you were good at it] and reseat the chip in its socket (usually with an audible click). Rinse and repeat over 24 hours and the chip contacts and socket contactss would acclimate themselves to each other --...
As one of 3 founders of Computer Plus, Inc. in Sunnyvale (and San Jose). I must correct you. We were the 5th Computer Store in Silicon Valley and opened December 28, 1978 as an Apple dealer (with no stock to sell). *There were 2 Byte Shops (the first Apple retailer) and 2 ComputerLands. Also there were quite a few Apple retailers that preceded us in Pasadena, San Francisco, greater LA area. There even was a Computers [plural] Plus in La Brea, CA.* Apples were a very...
TarPits R Us ???Sorry ... In the '80s Apple was aggressively approving dealerships -- like gas stations, 4 on every street corner So we stopped paying attention to any but the stores in Silicon Valley.Go, Trojans!
75 isn't bad for 2 stores ... Likely, they had an active service/repair department of 5-15 people. In the early Apple ][ and Apple /// days, savvy stores would burn-in all the equipment for at least 24 hours prior to selling/releasing to customers *. Also, savvy stores would offer training such as: checkout introduction; more advanced tips an techniques; speciality training (apps, networks, hard drives, etc.). In our stores, the sales people were non-commissioned and...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_TerrellThere were [at least] 2 Byte Shops in Silicon Valley. Both were on the El Camino -- 1 in Palo Alto, the Other in Mountain View.The Palo Alto Byte Shop was run by Bob Moody a tall, stocky, hirsute, intimidating visage -- an image of Rasputin comes to mind.That shop was about two blocks up El Camino from where I worked for IBM (at the time). A friend and I would regularly walk past the store at lunch time. The store was...
Well, sorta' related ...This used to be the oldest Apple Dealer in California -- it's where my dad bought his Apple ][ in 1978 (a month before I got mine). I suspect that they might have have assumed the title of the world's oldest Apple dealer:http://di-no.com/2012/FWIW. There are several Apple Stores within a 10-mile radius. Di-No has managed to stay in business despite competition from the nearby Apple Stores and online resellers. They cultivate customers like...
My early years were in St. Louis Park 1939-1951.Nope! No knowledge of this dealer.
I always thought it was "Fall Forward, Spring Back".
That ... that is great advice!Beauty they possess, eh?