or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

AIR, in the WWDC keynote description of iCloud enhancements, they described the ability to share (photos?) with no requirement for login by the sharee* Don't call me Cheri ...I suspect that Apple has a legal basis to challenge swapping domain requests away from Apple domainOn iCloud.com, Find My Phone uses Google maps backend (existing contract?)On iOS 8 Find My iPhone uses Apple maps backend.I think Apple should:use Apple maps for all on all platformscombine/extend the...
Some additional thoughts on using a Router vs an AppleTV to interface HomeKit accessories.[devices]. While it may be true that many of these accessories can be considered to be self-contained servers, they are limited to performing functions specific to that particular device -- a Phillips Hue Bridge can control Hue light bulbs, but cannot control a garage door, a thermostat or even non-Hue light bulbs. On its own, each of these accessories is pretty much doing its own...
We're talking past each other ... From prior posts, I know you understand client-server relationships ...We'll just have to wait and see ...
No, that' says remote control!You have 24 lights, 4 security cams, 3 motion detectors ... In the upstairs bedrooms and hall ways ...You want to spend your time, remote controlling each one of these ...Why not hire a maid and text her to do that for you (and hope she does it)?Better -- spend $99 and get it done?Apple doesn't like to expose complexity, so they don't describe a client-server relationship.But they spilled their hand when they said that the HomeKit app must...
This is totally 180 out!Why add the cost/inconvenience/incompatibility by adding a server to each device?Some of these devices are small, inexpensive and you want to add a raspberryPie to each one of these?How would you set the time on each of these?How would you coordinate: turning off all the downstairs lights, activating the security alarms, motion detecters, cams, etc.?How would you know if the desired actions actually took place?With HomeKit, you do something like: ...
FIRST"Customers will have to replace something, either their router or their AppleTV."The above statement is not true!The AppleTV 3rd generation has an A5X APU and is supported to run iOS 8 (as are the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 -- which have A5 APUs).The AE does not have the necessary hardware to run iOS (not even enough flash storage to contain iOS)If Apple opens the AppleTV to HomeKit:users with 3rd generation AppleTVs will; likely be supported!users with no AppleTV or...
As I posted earlier, a $199 iPod Touch would do the Job quite nicely -- actually overkill, because it wouldn't need a display or battery.That's why I think an AppleTV with at least an A7 would be preferable -- it could also run console-class games.Here's a very good article exploring the possibilities:http://seekingalpha.com/article/2292645-apples-new-strategic-centerpiece
Exactly ... None of this has to be earth shattering -- it just has to work!
This is exactly the beauty of HomeKit -- "regular folks" will not have to spend the time setting up their "scenes" -- savvy developers will write apps that do that for "regular folks" ...Initially apps and accessories [devices] will require some participation by "ordinary folks". Consider the current Phillips Hue setup:Screw in : Hue bulbs fit into your existing sockets. Just screw them in and turn the light on at the wall switch. Simple.Plug in : Power up your bridge....
A couple of things:FIRSTThe scope of HomeKit is much broader than controlling a few devices -- the AE doesn't have the storage to do this. HomeKit involves:multiple homesmultiple roomsmultiple devicesmultiple states for some devices (on/off color, brightness, etc)multiple zonesmultiple triggers to cause actions based on time, sensor input (temperature, humidity ...) etc.A typical room might contain 5-20 devices (we have 5 Hue bulbs in the Family room, 1 in each of the...