or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Even if heating all the roads is cost/energy effective -- the vested snow-removal infrastructure is a bigger hurdle.I don't know if you've ever lived where they have lots of snow. The long-established infrastructure would resist heated roads tooth and nail.The long-established infrastructure:I lived in ChicagoLand for 3 years:You couldn't go to a store and buy cold cuts or packaged meat after 4:00 PM -- the stores could not sell meat without a butcher on site -- the...
Technology isn't always the answer. It's interesting to visit Taos Pueblo in New Mexico. They have no electricity -- the running water is a stream/river running through the Pueblo. The winters are very cold and the summers are very hot.They designed their houses out of [mostly] straw and mud with walls and ceilings 6 feet thick. Windows are very small and there are few doorways. The houses are situated to minimize or maximize the rays of the sun depending on the...
Ha! I can remember as far back as 1978 when I saw a Mountain Computer solution for the Apple ][. Their system included software, a microphone peripheral card, a clock peripheral card and an I/O peripheral card that could control a device.1) You trained the software to recognize voice commands.2) You set the software to respond with certain actions when recognizing commands from the microphone or clock3) The software would issue the necessary commands to the I/O card...
iBeacon is a word that is [mis]applied to several, varying capabilities.But there are some devices that take advantage of Apple's iBeacon standard -- but are capable of doing a lot more sensing and yes, even initiate control using WiFi, Cell, power line, BTLE, etc.A good example of this is the $25 TI SensorTag:This device has the following sensors built in:2.5 Sensors2.5.1 Contactless IR Temperature Sensor2.5.2 Accelerometer2.5.3 Humidity Sensor2.5.4...
It is awesome ... for some use cases.But, when you realize that many places in the country have cold winters with ice and snow. Because of that, roads are quite different in those places -- no reflectors in the road surface (center lines, lane edges, fire hydrant locations, etc) no imbedded traffic sensors in the road surfaces, etc, -- nothing that could be ripped up by a snow plow. Then, there's the whole infrastructure in place to plow, salt and maintain these roads...
Those look great -- but I suspect they'd be hotter than hell to walk on in your bare feet!When we lived in ChicagoLand we had a house that had a heated garage floor and a heater driveway ...Worked great, except the city didn't have heated roadways -- and only a few snowplows Edit: Hmmm ... come to think about it -- sapphire has great strength and heat/power dissipation capabilities ...I think you done broke the code -- Apple's new breakthrough product is the iPaver
There are [power line control] switches and outlets currently available at reasonable prices. Also there are warts that plug into an existing outlet, then you plug the device into the wart.So it is possible to bring existing, non-smart, devices under control without having to replace/upgrade all your lamps, appliances at once.The big payback for homes is, likely, HVAC monitoring and control -- and that's doable now, with, say, a 3-5 year ROI for the cost of devices and...
Bingo!Each device has an unique ID -- like a UUID.
I think the tech already exists -- though it's [currently] targeted at enterprise.http://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2014/02/20/the-smart-way-to-invest-in-the-smart-home/http://www.echelon.com/company/I had a conversation with Mike Markkula where he described what his new company [Echelon} was about. Basically, he said that they had an inexpensive module that connected to the power lines [in the home] at every outlet or switch. Each device has an unique...