or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Yes!And don't forget about the humble AppleTV. It is an excellent presentation vehicle for enterprise (as well as consumers) anytime the need exceeds the one-on-one presentation capability of the iPad. I suspect that a new AppleTV with A8X is coming and that the Apple/IBM partnership will have asset to the APIs.
I mostly agree about the hardware -- except we haven't seen a teardown/layout of the A8X -- we think there are 3 CPU cores and 2 GB RAM ... But there may be other things on the chip -- Bigger SRAM caches, DSPs for media conversion/manipulation ... There may be more than meets the eye.As far as developers, Xcode and Swift are key, IMO. I think that both need another year to reach their full potential.In the post after yours, I show how productive a developer can be...
Don't believe TC any more than SJ -- when telling people what they want to hear!
Ya' wanna' see sumpin' ... To me this just amazing! I wrote an OS X app that displays this: Here's the Swift code for the app: Code: // // AppDelegate.swift // import Cocoa @NSApplicationMain class AppDelegate: NSObject, NSApplicationDelegate { func applicationDidFinishLaunching(aNotification: NSNotification) { // Insert code here to initialize your application } func applicationWillTerminate(aNotification: NSNotification) { //...
I agree with all that ... except, maybe TS's OS Xi should be OS iX or iOSX I would add the importance of the Apple/IBM partnership and its effect on OS X and iOS programming by enterprise IT programmers.I think your timetable of two years is too conservative. By this time next year we should have:A9X APU -- More Power (CPU. GPU), more RAM (and/or SRAM),Xcode 7 -- more common iOS and OS X APIs, enhanced Storyboards, common codebase for iOS and OS X appsSwift maturation...
What you say is true ...But there are certain widely-used OS X constructs that are not available in iOS -- for example, a multi-column table (NSTableView) where columns are sortable, resizeable, rearrangeable, hideable ...iOS Numbers implements this capability (either by brute force or private APIs).There is no reason that this capability could not be made available to iOS developers ... but it is difficult to create a useable app because of the lack of granularity of...
Yes!For the subsumption of OS X work (apps) by IOS work (apps) -- Swift is as Lenin's rope.There are fewer and fewer things that OS X apps can do that today's iPad and iOS apps can't do -- and that's primarily due to some limitations of the touch UI. A good keyboard and an optional Stylus/Digitizer would solve most of the UI issues.
Ahh ... Thanks for the insight!So, at least in Intel's current implementation CISC and RISC are joined at the hip on the Intel chip ... that has a certain natural verbal flow to it And, it does make sense that the translation can be more effective based on what code the ap is actually executing -- rather than a batch convert of the app.My mind/personality tells me that it would be a major coup to be able to run x86 code on ARM ... But, over a few years, that may not be...
@Relic: I can see that the above layouts would be fine some instances -- like sitting around a large table in a board room or meeting room ... But, it would be totally unusable on a small desk, a lap, an airplane table or, correct me if I'm wrong -- on a hospital bed table. (I spent 9 days in hospital in 2009 and tried to use an AluBook 17" ... It was very difficult to use).Finally, the above shows a minimum obtuse angle vis a vis a potential kb in front of the display...
AHA! Yes, the hardware is there taking space and power whether needed or not.Question, wouldn't it be practical to take an x86 app and do a one-time translation to sift the app into the native RISC code -- and store that output for any subsequent execution? a kind of Thin Binary?