or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Does that mean that the app cannot be used if Internet access is not available?Wouldn't it be better to have an offline (downloaded app) capability that expired after a month (or whenever the subscription ended)?As you can guess -- I don't use any subscription apps except Apple iCloud -- and those apps are available off line.
Yeah, browser plugins aren't ideal ...How do others (MS and Adobe) handle their proprietary software (Office and Photoshop) that are accessable online for a monthly subscription?
I suspect that most drivers wouldn't contribute while moving ... maybe stalled in traffic, though. A passenger would be more likely to contribute.In many cases, using something like Siri to generate a short text would not be too distracting.
Hmmm ... Apple Maps ... Web-based ... JavaScript ... plus Apple tech:  3D Flyover;  Street View;  Indoor Mapping;  AR, Route Planning;  PushPin Interactive Mapping ... How can Apple do all this on the web and provide acceptable performance -- without giving away the store and Apple's competitive advantage??? Not too long ago, a solution would be to use HTML/CSS/JavaScript around the edges -- but to use something like a proprietary Flash or Java runtime (Browser Plugin)...
Hmm ... Maps ... Web-based ... JavaScript ...After rereading the article I was reminded that Apple bought a mapping company named PlaceBase in 2009:http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/01/apple_purchased_google_maps_competitor_placebase_reportOne of the unusual capabilities provided by PlaceBase was access to demographic data from many different sources. It would use this demographic data to create overlays for standard maps yielding maps showing things like:crime...
Mmm ... we have Phillips Hue -- purchased on-line when first available. We have had zero problems, except for an occasional power failure. We use the Hue app every day to control downstairs reading lights, night lights;  and upstairs bedroom lights/nite lights.We have more problems with the ATT Uverse Modem and cable box bridge. About once a week, the modem hiccoughs and all the WiFi devices get switched to the ATT WiFi (which doesn't work) from the Apple WiFi. And the...
There is a lot of emphasis in using maps on mobile devices (including, phones, tablets and cars).However, there are some map activities easiest done on a computer as opposed to a touch device. Many of these same activities require data not usually considered (or included) in a mapping application. Most of this data is readily available on the web.Just, yesterday we used Apple Maps running on a Jeep Cherokee (via connected Apple Watch and iPhone) to navigate to a new (to...
But, you seem to be OK with that for your HEC (as am I) ... the HomeKit hub functionality detracts nothing from 3rd-generation AppleTV function.I suspect the New AppleTV will have h.265 and and better audio (more RAM and Flash storage) -- likely, around $149.In my case, I'll get a New AppleTV for the [shared] HEC in the family room -- and move the gen 3 AppleTV upstairs to to one of the bedrooms ... already have planned to do this.
What about the value of "do[ing] a walk around the house" when you are away from home, 1,000 miles away?There should be little, or no, risk with a hub, even if you are away from home ... You set defaults, e.g. all windows and doors locked until told different, randomly turn lights no/off to simulate someone at home, monitor doors, windows, security cameras for unscheduled activity ...People are really underestimating the capabilities of HomeKit -- it is one of the most...
The AppleTV, as we know it (version 3), can walk and chew gum at the same time. Like most here the [Family Room] AppleTV is hooked up to the home entertainment center ... and will continue to be. There is no reason the computer inside the AppleTV can't handle the requirements of a HomeKit Hub without interfering with your (or my) HEC.You will control the AppleTV for HEC functions as you do now.You will control the HomeKit Hub function of the AppleTV with Watch, Siri,...