or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Interesting ...I'm no HVAC engineer, but my experience with forced air heating/AC systems, say, though the 1990's relied on metal ductwork to distribute the "conditioned" air from the heat exchanger at the furnace to the rooms throughout the house. These were large, say, 12"-24" x 12". Since the same continuous duct served all the room in the house -- their were points in the ducts where a piece of metal could be rotated to or open a portion of the duct directing more...
Ha! Always wanted to use that in a sentence ...- Eloi-free Applebaum
Supposedly, the ROI is on HVAC Fuel savings -- efficiently providing comfort at reduced costs. We live in the SF East Bay area.We installed a new HVAC a little over a month ago -- just as the seasonal temperature rises to the 86-90 range.Our last PG&E bill rose from $330 to $483 with the new HVAC and a "loaner" Honeywell thermostat.The contractor installed the Ecobee3 on Wednesday with wireless remote temperature/motion sensors in the upstairs bedrooms ...The ecobee has a...
The WiFi Motion and Temperature Sensor uses a 3V Lithium battery -- likely last a year???
If the SSL handshake is overly complex for BLE I would think a WiFi bridge might offer an acceptable solution for many non-security devices -- like the Phillips Hue. You would interface the Bridge with WiFi from an iDevice -- and the bridge would monitor/control the individual accessories (lights) via BLE.Though, any devices requiring security should be WiFi.
The AC guy is here (working on a condensation leak in the heat exchanger). When he finishes he will replace the thermostat with the Ecobee3 HomeKit enabled Thermostat. I'm all psyched to try this. It connects to the house WiFi system and also can interface tiny remote sensors over WiFi to monitor activity and temperature in remote rooms. Since it uses WiFi for everything, I expect it to be robust enough to provide instantaneous response. FWIW, 2 of the tiny remote...
You could be right -- though content availability might be the driving force -- sports, New TV season.The whole HomeKit thing is beginning to gain traction ... We have some Hue lights but no HK interface yet. In fact, we just got a new AC/Furnace & I wouldn't let them install a Nest Thermostat. We got a Ecobee3 HomeKit enabled thermostat that they will install today. So, I will be able to test with a real device for the first time.I mention this, because Apple could...
O, sure ... here's the Big Red S:/
Yeah ... and those messy splits ... no future in AAPL!
Mmm ... Tim's Apple seems able to walk and chew gum at the same time ... Thought with the earnings call we'd see a delay from the 2-week beta cycle. The other thing -- I have a feelining my bones that we are going to see a lot of new announcements from Apple between now and the new iPhones. I suspect the new AppleTV real soon (cord cutting content, games, home server, etc.). IDK why, but I feel the new iPod ties into this somehow. And Apple Maps -- so much potential...